3 Northern Mindanao police officials sacked; poor performance

3 police officials sacked; poor performance cited

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

3 police officials sacked; poor performance cited

Thursday, September 29, 2016

THREE more high-ranking police officers in Northern Mindanao have been relieved following a revamp order by regional police commander Chief Superintendent Noel Constantino.

The three, relieved for "poor performance in the campaign against illegal drugs," were identified as Senior Superintendent Leonilo Cabug, Camiguin Provincial police director, Senior Superintendent Edgar Daniel, Misamis Occidental provincial police director, and Senior Superintendent Archival Macala, Batallion commander of Regional Public Safety Battalion (RPSB).

The relief order took effect on Tuesday, September 27.

Constantino said the relief order and reassignment of the three police officials are in accordance of the directive from the Philippine National Police national headquarters and based on the guidance of the President Rodrigo Duterte.

Duterte visited Police Regional Office (PRO)-Northern Mindanao and held a closed-door conference with senior police officers last September 22.

Replacing Cabug is Senior Superintendent Rolando Destura, the outgoing chief of the Regional Intelligence Division (RID) while Superintendent Micahel Pareja will be designated as RID officer in charge.

Senior Superintendent Jaysen de Guzman, former battalion commander of Regional Public Safety Battalion of Ilocos Region will replace Daniel in Misamis Occidental.

Macala will be replaced by Superintendent Danildo Tumanda who delegated his position as chief of the Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division to Superintendent Marilou Tambis as office in charge.

Constantino said a revamp of city police chiefs is also looming.

"There are still impending movements of city police chiefs but we are still ironing out some details before we implement the order," Constantino said.

Superintendent Surki Sereñas, PRO-Northern Mindanao spokesperson, said the latest revamp was the result of the oversight committee evaluation and regular movement of officers.

"This is an offshoot of several overarching reasons that include unsatisfactory performance on the anti-illegal drugs campaign, overstaying and notwithstanding their own personal reasons like their desire for a well-balanced career assignments in both staff and command positions, assignment outside the region, job competency alignment and the unpreventable compulsory retirement," Sereñas said.

Two weeks ago, 12 chiefs of police in the region were similarly sacked for failing to comply with the same directive of PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa. (With reports from Jigger J. Jerusalem)

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on September 30, 2016.


View Comments