AMID safety and security concerns brought about by the fighting in Marawi City, security near and around schools have been tightened as students begin the new school year.
To ensure the students' safety, the city’s main public schools such as the City Central School, the Cagayan de Oro National High School (CDONHS), and the Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School (MOGCHS) have intensified tighter campus security with the opening of classes.
Paul Badon, the assistant principal of City Central School, said that compared last year, their school administration adjusted some of the school policies so they can be certain that the people who are going in and out of the campus are monitored.
Some of these measures include the usage of only one gate for the entrance and exit of people, limited profiling, and the limiting of vehicles that can enter the school premises.
"Well, because of what happened in Marawi, we decided to implement a stricter security in the school area. Sa gate we had a profiling sa mga pumapasok pero para lang doon sa mga kahinahinala. Pero limited profiling lang naman. At nilimitahan na rin namin yung mga sasakyan na nakakapasok at nakakapark sa parking area, di tulad ng dati. (Well, because of what happened in Marawi, we decided to implement a stricter security in the school area. We had a profiling on the people who enter that are quite suspicious. But it’s a limited profiling. And we also regulated the cars that enter and park on the parking area. Not like before.)," Badon said.
The same measures are also being implemented in the Cagayan de Oro National High School.
Its school principal, Marlon Francis Seriña said they consider more security guards in the area and intend to start classes early so that the students can go home early.
"We’ll not also allow the students to leave schools during lunch break so they won't be able to skip classes. They could just bring their baon and stay in the campus where it is safer," Seriña said.
MOGCHS principal Pedro Estaño, Jr., on the other hand, said the influx of around 9,000 students for this school year is a big challenge to them, though the first day was a success.
"Of course, safety first is top in our list before anything else. And though the start of classes are well, we should not be complacent until the succeeding weeks just to be sure," Estaño said.
Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on June 06, 2017.