Misamis Oriental governor willing to impose ‘lockdown’ | SunStar

Misamis Oriental governor willing to impose ‘lockdown’

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Misamis Oriental governor willing to impose ‘lockdown’

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

MISAMIS Oriental Governor Yevgeny Emano on Monday, June 19, said he is willing to impose a “lockdown” in the province to help authorities thwart possible terror attacks.

“It's preparation if in case naa need for PNP (Philippine National Police) and AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines), we will abide and help,” Emano said.

The governor said the Capitol is willing to assist the police and military if authorities recommends for a lockdown to prevent terrorists from entering the province and Cagayan de Oro City.

“Up to the PNP and AFP but (Misamis Oriental) provincial director (Senior Superintendent Sukarno) Alvarez is preparing,” Emano said.

Capitol spokesperson Nicole Managbanag said Emano is set to issue a directive to all town mayors to conduct counter-terrorism drills in their respective municipalities.

Managbanag said the drill would empower and equip town officials on how to deal with possible terror scenarios.

“Tagaan ni Governor Emano og memo ang mga town mayors nga mag-conduct of drill para makapangandam sa mga posibleng attacks,” Managbanag said.

“Ang drill in case sa mga dautang hitabo,” Emano said.

Authorities have earlier admitted that terrorists may have slipped out from the war-stricken Marawi City and blended with evacuees to gain entrance to the province and the city.

Chief Superintendent Agripino Javier, regional director of the Police Regional Office-Northern Mindanao, however, assured the public that the region remains safe against the terrorists.

“We want to stress that there is really danger na mayroong mga nakapuslit. Ayaw naming bulahin yung mga tao pero we ensure the safety of the public,” Javier said.

Emano also stressed that the vigilance and cooperation of the public would contribute to preventing terrorists from carrying out their plans in the province.

Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on June 20, 2017.


View Comments