AN INMATE of the Misamis Oriental Provincial Jail (MOPJ) whose common-law partner was allegedly raped by his two uncles escaped from the detention facility early Wednesday, August 2, but was captured some five hours later by jail authorities.
MOPJ warden Dominador Tagarda said the inmate, Jhunrel Warque, 22, of Claveria town, escaped by scaling a barbed wire-topped fence and slipped away just after getting vegetable supplies from the outside.
"Nibisita iyang kaipon atong Lunes ug mitaho nga gihilabtan siya sa kaubanan ni Warque mao tong naka-trigger niya nga motakas aron manimalos," MOPJ warden Dominador Tagarda.
Warque, who escaped around 4 a.m., was captured past 9 a.m. at Calaanan, Canitoan, this city.
Tagarda said Warque will be locked up inside the isolation cell for more than a week.
He said Warque is a "trustee" at the jail. A trustee is someone who has earned the trust of jail officials and who is tasked with doing chores like cooking for his fellow inmates.
Tagarda said Warque escaped right after getting food supplies with the guards near the prison gate.
"Regular gyud nila nga trabaho ang pagkuha sa kinompra nga utan kay trustee dihang kumpyansa ang gwardya nga nagsunod si Warque pero diay nilayat na sa kural," Tagarda said.
A recovery team composed of two groups was immediately dispatched and chased the fugitive.
Warque was imprisoned last August 12, 2016, on illegal drugs and violence against women and children charges and his trial is ongoing.
The MOPJ warden said Warque had asked for forgiveness but he will still be locked up in the isolation cell for security and as part of the jail regulations.
"I-bartolina siya for safety kay daghan nangasuko niya nga mga piniriso. Makatawhanon atong patakaran kay kulatahan unya siya sa ubang priso kung sa gawas ibutang," he said.
Tagarda said the three jail guards who were responsible for the incident will be made to explain within 48 to 72 hours.
The explanation will be forwarded to the provincial legal office which will determine the possible sanctions for the jail guards.
Tagarda said they already submitted the incident report to Governor Yevgeny Emano who had earlier ordered the recovery of the inmate.
"Gihatag na namo ang report kang guv kay pagkahitabo gimando niya diretso nga sikupon gyud diretso. Si guv pud ang naay finaly say kung unsay mahitabo sa responsable sa hitabo," he said.
Tagarda has reiterated his directive to all security personnel of the MOPJ to always stay alert to prevent similar incident to happen.
"Hugtan lang gyud ang posting sa mga gwardya kay mataas o mubo nga kural kung tulog-tulog ang mga gwardya maikyasan gyud," Tagarda added.
The jail warden also said they are waiting for the approval of their request for additional 15 guards who will help maintain the security around the jail compound.
The MOPJ, which has a capacity to accommodate only 250 inmates, already has 759 at present.
"Hangyo gyud ta nga madugangan kay nagkadaghan ang piniriso. Naghulat na lang mi sa approval kay gipasa naman namo ang request," Tagarda said.
Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 03, 2017.