Probe begins on Ozamiz raids | SunStar

Probe begins on Ozamiz raids

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Probe begins on Ozamiz raids

Thursday, August 03, 2017

A TEAM from the Regional Internal Affairs Service (Rias)-Northern Mindanao began its ocular inspections Thursday, August 3, at the houses of the Parojinogs in Ozamiz City, four days after the deadly police operations that killed Mayor Reynaldo “Aldong” Parojinog Sr. and 15 others.

The Rias-Northern Mindanao had launched a probe on the pre-dawn raids made to serve six search warrants against the mayor and three other members of the Parojinog family for alleged illegal possession of firearms.

The raid was led by Chief Inspector Jovie Espenido, Ozamiz City police chief, and also involved the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).

Senior Superintendent Gerry Galvan, Rias-Northern Mindanao chief, led the one-day ocular inspection to personally see the areas where the supposed shootout took place.

“Tapos na tayo mag ocular inspection tiningnan namin yung mga lugar na nagkaroon ng barilan during sa pag-serve ng search warrant,” Galvan said.

“Gusto lang namin makita yung scene kasi yung technicality ang Soco (Scene of the Crime Operatives) ang nakapag-aral,” he said.

The team also interviewed residents of the neighborhood but said none were able to witness the shootout as people were either sleeping or were unable to see anything on account of the blackout just before the supposed gunfight.

But Galvan said their office is open and willing to accommodate anyone who will stand as a witness to the alleged irregularities of the operation.

“Nakausap namin yung isang konsehala na ka-party ni mayor at sinabihan namin na kung may witnesses bukas ang ating opisina para makapagbigay sila ng statement,” he said.

“Di ko masabi kung meron silang witness kasi ang sabi sa amin maghihintay daw sila sa desisyon ng magkapatid na naaresto,” Galvan said.

The Rias-Northern Mindanao chief said they have yet to receive the complete after operation report from the police who executed the search warrants.

Galvan maintains the probe may last anywhere from 15 to 20 days before they can submit their recommendations.

“Ongoing ang ating investigation at nag-process palang tayo kasi ang documents di pa natin nakukuha lahat tulad ng after operation report at autopsy report ng Soco,” Galvan said.

The PRO-Northern Mindanao has sent more policemen to Ozamiz City from the Regional Public Safety Battalion (RPSB) to help man security checkpoints to block the possible entry of armed and threat groups.

Superintendent Lemuel Gonda, PRO-Northern Mindanao spokesperson, said the RPSB augmentation force was deployed on Tuesday, August 1.

Gonda said the Ozamiz City police was urged to intensify its security measures against armed groups who may take revenge for the deaths of five members of the Parojinog family.

“Naay mga information nga subject for validation sa posibleng panimalos busa dili lang ta magkumpyansa, preventive ang ato,” Gonda said.

Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 04, 2017.


View Comments