AUTHORITIES have rescued two minors, siblings with mental deficiencies, from the clutches of their supposed abductor in Zayas, Carmen, Cagayan de Oro City, earlier this week.
Recovered from the hands of the suspect Marjon Layawan, 22, are a 14-year-old girl and her 17-year-old elder brother.
Senior Police Office 3 Zona Fabria, police station 4 investigator, said the suspect brought the female victim at the house of his live-in partner on August 2.
Police said the suspect is a scavenger while his live-in partner runs a junkshop business.
The suspect sent the victim to the house of his partner’s father the following day. But, on the same day, the victim and her brother went back to the suspect's house.
Fabria said based on her assessment, the two victims have late mental development.
"Anang August 2 gidala sa suspek ang biktima sa balay sa iyang ka live-in iyang giingan nga ipa-atras ang kaso. Giuli niya pagkaugma pero nibalik ang biktima uban iyang igsoon. Sa akong pag-assess silang duha naay late mental development," Fabria said.
Fabria added, "Niuban ang babaye kay gusto daw motan-aw og tv sa balay unya dili na katultol pag-uli. Sa next day, nag-uban ang magsoon sa balay sa kalive-in sa suspect kay gusto niya tan-awon daw ang dagway sa nag-rape sa iyang igsoon."
Police charged the suspect on May this year, for allegedly raping the said victim.
The victims have failed to return home since August 3 as they were being held by the suspect and told to look after the house.
The victims' father reported to the police on Tuesday, August 22, after learning the whereabouts of his children.
Authorities launched a rescue operation around 10:30 p.m.
Fabria said there have been no indication that the victims were hurt.
The suspect will face charges for violation of the special protection against child abuse and discrimination (RA 7610).
"Dili man maigo sa serious illegal detention kay naa man sila chance nga mouli katong gipabagbantay sila sa balay," Fabria said.
Fabria added that they are yet to follow-up on the flow of the suspect’s rape case.
Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 26, 2017.