THE opening of the coastal road in November may be on track following the resolution of right-of-way issues pertaining to a property owned by Conrad Lim.
Department of Public Works and Highways-Northern Mindanao spokesperson Vinah Maghinay said Lim, owner of a property that had long stalled the project, has agreed to give up a portion of his property for the road project.
Maghinay said its office welcomes this development as this would pave the way to achieve the target month for the project's completion, which is on November.
It can be recalled that DPWH Secretary Mark Villar, announced on a Facebook post, that the 12.77-kilometer coastal road highway which will serve as a bypass road from Barangay Gusa to Barangay Igpit, Opol in Misamis Oriental will be completed by November this year.
In a previous interview, Maghinay pointed out that there are other 6 road right-of-way issues that still needs resolution, aside from Lim's, but added they are positive that this will all be settled before November.
Lawyer James Judith, who sent the petition to Malacañang to urge President Rodrigo Duterte to intervene, said he was thankful that Lim respected the agreement for the common good.
Judith earlier said Villar and Lim had back channel talks to resolve the right of way issue.
"Last week sa Thursday siya nag-open gyud. Gaina, nilabay ta didto ug nalimpyohan na gyud siya, so nalipay ta ani na development. In fact, kanang sa formal inauguration sa project, I received an invitation from the Office of the President to attend the event, silbi pat on the back sa atoa nga na brought up nato ni nga matter sa taas," he said.
The coastal road project is already 93 percent complete. Of the 12.77-kilometer measurement of the project, 11.87 kilometers is already done.
Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 30, 2017.