Misamis Oriental guv: Foreign telco to invest in Misortel | SunStar

Misamis Oriental guv: Foreign telco to invest in Misortel

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Misamis Oriental guv: Foreign telco to invest in Misortel

Monday, October 23, 2017

THE Misamis Oriental Telephone System Inc. (Misortel) may be getting a new lease on life.

Governor Yevgeny Emano on Monday, October 23, said the Capitol has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with a foreign telephone company to resuscitate Misortel next year.

Emano, however, declined to name the foreign partner pending the renewal of the Misortel franchise.

"We are going to revive Misortel because we have a foreign partner right now. We signed the MOU already," Emano said.

Emano said the foreign partner will focus on reviving the company’s internet business and improve the present Misortel system.

Emano said the foreign partner is set to introduce a technology that he said will make Misortel competitive with other telephone and communications companies.

"Wireless siya and entire Mindanao iyang scope. If this would be push through, easy ra ang public wifi sa mga munisipyo ug syudad. Our partner know the techonology," Emano said.

Emano said the rebuilding works will be done in a build-operate-transfer (BOT) scheme, but 60 percent of the profit will go to the province and 40 percent to the foreign partner.

"Wala tay cash out. They will improve everything more of like build-operate-transfer nga sistema, 60 percent sa earning to government and 40 percent paingon sa ila," Emano said.

The capitol is set to bring the franchise renewal at the House of Representatives and Senate in December.

Emano said the capitol's partner will also visit the province next week to discuss further developments.

Emano said the Misortel which has about 2,000 subscribers at present will be happy for the new system and fast, strong internet connection.

"Willing na unta ta ibaligya pero dili na lang kay nakurat ta kay nagka interest sa nga i-improve and Misortel," Emano said.

Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on October 24, 2017.


View Comments