Suspected rebels abduct 2 cops in Surigao | SunStar

Suspected rebels abduct 2 cops in Surigao

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Suspected rebels abduct 2 cops in Surigao

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

(SunStar Image)

TWO police personnel were abducted in Surigao Del Norte on Monday afternoon by armed men believed to be members of the communist New People’s Army (NPA), a military official said Tuesday.

Major Ezra Balagtey, spokesperson of Eastern Mindanao Command, said the two policemen were forcibly taken by around 20 armed men on board two white vans without license plate around 1:35 p.m. on Monday, November 13.

The names of the policemen, both members of the Placer Municipal Police Station, have been withheld. They were on duty at the police outpost in Bad-as Public Market when the abduction took place.

Balagtey said government forces were conducting search and rescue operation. Police have yet to identify the NPA responsible for the abduction.

“This incident runs counter to the spirit of peace talks that everyone is pushing (for),” said Balagtey.

The peace talks between the government and the communist rebels are in limbo. President Rodrigo Duterte said in July that there will be no more negotiations following the intensified attacks by rebels in response to the martial law proclaimed in Mindanao.

The President has been flip flopping on his position and the government negotiating panel has not issued a formal notice terminating the talks.

Duterte, meanwhile, has urged the NPA rebels to surrender to the government with a promise that they will be given a decent job and house. (SunStar Philippines)

Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on November 15, 2017.


View Comments