Floods displace 240 families in 2 Misamis Oriental towns | SunStar

Floods displace 240 families in 2 Misamis Oriental towns

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Floods displace 240 families in 2 Misamis Oriental towns

Thursday, December 14, 2017

AROUND 240 families or nearly a thousand individuals fled their homes after Tropical Depression Urduja hit two towns in Misamis Oriental on Thursday, December 14.

The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) said five houses were destroyed and three were damaged in Balingasag and Lagonglong towns.

PDDRM officer Fernando Dy Jr. said the houses were built along the riverbanks and were washed out after floodwater started to rise since morning due to intermittent rains.

"Mga 222 ka mga pamilya sa Lagonglong and 18 ka pamilya sa Balingasag. Kaning na-washed out nga mga balay daplin sa suba naigo sa tubig baha," Dy said.

The PDRRMO has placed an evacuation centers and addressed immediate needs of the displaced families.

Four municipalities such as Lagongong, Claveria, Opol and Balingasag have suspended classes due to flood.

Governor Yevgeney Emano said the cancellation of classes will be up to the local chief executive of every town since they personally know the situation in their respective areas of responsibility.

Dy also said the Musi-musi bridge in Baliwagan, Balingasag was temporarily closed for nearly two hours after a minor damage was noted on the surface of the bridge which is dangerous for motorists to cross.

The temporarily closure resulted to traffic congestion for more than an hour; however, one lane of the bridge is still passable for light and heavy vehicles.

"Naay gihimong scouring ug paspas ang pagtambak sa yuta kay medyo nabangag ang usa ka portion sa bridge ug delikado maagian sa mga motorista (There’s an ongoing scrouring and a land piling of a portion of the bridge that is risky for motorists)," Dy said.

The PDRRMO is on alert and is preparing for other reports from different disaster officers in other towns in the province so officials can immediately respond.

Dy reminded residents to be vigilant and make personal safety measures should bad weather condition persist.

He urged the public to report immediately to authorities any untoward incidents brought by the rains.

Dy also warned motorists to be careful when plying the highways of the province due to wet roads that may cause accidents.

"Pahimangno nato sa tanan nga ireport dayon sa mga opisyal unsay mahitabo para marespondihan dayon. Samtang padayon atong pagmonitor niining daotan nga panahon karon (We advise the public to report immediately to officials, so we can respond as soon as possible. Our monitoring also continues)," Dy said.

Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on December 15, 2017.

View Comments