No firecracker injuries in Cagayan de Oro, Misamis Oriental

No firecracker injuries in CDO, Misamis Oriental

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

No firecracker injuries in CDO, Misamis Oriental

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

BOTH Cagayan de Oro City and Misamis Oriental province have no recorded firecracker-related injuries during the New Year’s celebration but a man was reportedky hit by a stray bullet in Tagoloan town, authorities said Tuesday.

Fernando Dy Jr., Misamis Oriental Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) officer, said the New Year’s celebration was generally peaceful as no one was injured because of firecrackers or fireworks.

But he said a report reached the PDRRMO that a man in Barangay Casinglot, Tagoloan was slightly injured after getting hit by a stray bullet in the shoulder.

"Diha nitugpa sa iya ang bala pero tapsing lang sa iyang abaga (He was grazed by a stray bullet in the shoulder),"Dy said.

Dy said the police brought the bullet to the crime laboratory to identify the firearm used.

In Cagayan de Oro City, a 36-year-old man was arrested for using a polyvinyl pipe, locally known as ‘boga’, in place of firecrackers in Barangay Nazareth.

Chief Inspector Mardy Hortillosa II, spokesperson of the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo), said Jupiter Calam was nabbed after he was caught carrying a boga outside the designated firecracker display area of the barangay.

Hortillosa explained that the use of boga is prohibited.

He, however, said Cocpo has not recorded any firecracker-related injuries or indiscriminate firing incident.

On the other hand, Hortillosa said there were reports that many have still used firecrackers outside the designated areas.

He said it is difficult for the police to control and monitor these people considering the lack of manpower of Cocpo.

But Hortillosa said there has been improvement compared to the previous years in terms of following reminders and government warnings.

"Dako kaayo ang improvement kompara sauna busa zero casualty ta karon kay bisan gani mga vendor sa pabuto minus man ilang palit (There is a big improvement compared to the past that is why we don’t have any casualty. Even the vendors said very few people bought firecrackers)," Hortillosa added.

Hortillosa said that there's more to improve in terms of implementation and enforcement of the executive order providing the regulation and control of the use of firecracker and other pyrotechnic devices.

Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on January 03, 2018.

View Comments