Tropical Cyclone 'Basyang' veers off Northern Mindanao

'Basyang' veers off Northern Mindanao

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

'Basyang' veers off Northern Mindanao

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

MISAMIS Oriental and Cagayan de Oro City were spared by "Basyang," as the tropical cyclone veered to the Visayas and away from Northern Mindanao after making landfall in Surigao del Sur Tuesday morning, February 13.

Disaster offices said the weather disturbance had little impact on the city and province.

In Misamis Oriental, rescuers reported a minor landslide in Talisayan town but it did not endanger the lives of residents.

They said the debris were removed in less than 30 minutes, so it did not prevent motorists from passing through the town.

The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) also reported that several creeks in the towns of Balingoan, Salay and Talisayan overflowed, causing a knee-deep flooding.

Other towns affected by intermittent rains were Binuangan, Sugbongcogon, Lagonglong, and Alibujid.

PDRRM officer Fernando Dy Jr. said around 391 families were forced to leave their homes and stay at evacuation centers.

Dy, however, said no casualties were reported.

"Mag-coordinate pa ta sa mga local disaster officers kung angayan na ba sila papaulion kay sila man ang mas nasayod," Dy said.

Governor Yevgeny Emano has ordered the command center to stay activated and alert as bad weather still threatens the province.

The state weather bureau placed the province under signal number 2 late Monday evening. As of 1 p.m. Tuesday, it went back to signal number 1 while the warning level stayed at "yellow."

"Nakagawas na sa MisOr pero ang pag-ulan ikog na lang ni sa bagyo pero padayon pa gihapon atong monitoring sa command center," Dy said.

On the other hand, no incidents related to the weather disturbance such as flooding was recorded in Cagayan de Oro City.

The City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Department (CDRRMD) said water levels remain normal Tuesday.

About 155 families in three flood-prone villages in Cagayan de Oro City voluntarily evacuated as of 8 a.m. Tuesday.

"This is an indication nga resilient na ang mga residente nga pag-moingon nga naay bagyo, ila nang kabubut-on nga mag-evacuate. Buot pasabot, effective atong mga pamaagi dili pareha sauna nga pugson pa nimo," CDRRMD officer Allan Porcadilla said.

"Pasalamat ta kay walay dagkong mga hitabo ug walay epekto si Basyang sa ato sa CDO," he added.

Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on February 14, 2018.

View Comments