Dud mortar found among trash | SunStar

Dud mortar found among trash

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Dud mortar found among trash

Thursday, March 08, 2018

BOMB experts from the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo) has taken custody of a 60mm mortar found in a garbage yard in front of the village hall of Barangay Patag on Wednesday morning, March 7.

The mortar, discovered by a scavenger, however, was found to be already demilitarized according to the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) of Cocpo.

The EOD personnel said the mortar no longer has any fuse nor explosives inside hence, Cocpo spokesperson Chief Inspector Mardy Hortillosa II said the mortar can no longer cause harm.

Hortillosa explained that said type of mortar can inflict serious injury to death to people within 20-35 meter radius once it hit the target.

"Pero dili na siya delikado kay na demilitarize na siya meaning dili na siya capable nga mubuto (It's no longer dangerous because it has already been demilitarized which means it has no capacity to detonate)," Hortillosa said.

He said nobody knows who threw the item to the area as he even said armament like this should not be dispose anywhere.

Hortillosa said the mortar could only have come from the government.

"Ang army ra pwede mogamit ani and dili siya basta-basta ilabay kay naay proper disposal ani (Only the army can possess this and it should not be thrown just like that because there is a proper disposal for it)," Hortillosa said.

Published in the SunStar Cagayan de Oro newspaper on March 08, 2018.

View Comments