Milo sports writing contest cancelled-A A +A
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
LOCAL sportswriters were disappointed by the sudden cancellation of what could have been the first sports writing contest in this year's Milo Little Olympics Mindanao.
The annual event culminated on Saturday's awarding ceremony at the Don Gregorio Pelaez Sports Center.
"Ngano wala man mi gi-inform sa pinakasayo para dili nalang mi mag-asa?" rued Lito Roluna of Gold Star Daily.
Another Gold Star writer Marnoel Parba was shocked by the decision, noting that the awarding of the sports writing contest had already been included in the Milo programs published in various local papers.
Explaining "too late" to the media, event organizer Megdonio R. Llamera said the sports writing contest was intended for the national finals and not the regional competitions.
"Ang writing contest para sa national," Llamera told the contestants who were already soaked in sweat from the heat as they waited for the decision.
The sports writing contest, along with the photo contest, was officially announced two weeks before the 14th Milolympics unfurled.
"That's why we wondered, since this was officially announced and no advice to cancel," said a visibly dismayed Rulona.
"Nag-inform na unta sila sayo especially naa mi contact numbers sa entries namo," added Parba, citing the fact that the Milo secretariat had even accepted all the "sports writing" entries in time for the July 5 deadline.