Editorial: Quo vadis, SITG-A A +A
Monday, August 19, 2013
IN EIGHT days, it will be a month since the July 26 blast.
The last information we heard from the Special Task Investigation Group (SITG) of the Rosario Arcade blast is on the need of more credible witnesses to strengthen the case of the charges filed against the suspects.
But prior to that, SITG had no idea there were 24 more suspects being charged at the City Prosecutor’s Office and the information came from the national headquarters of Criminal Investigation and Detection Group fed by its people here.
Mayor Oscar Moreno didn’t give comment when asked if he had been informed of that latest update from CIDG. And you have a task force unaware of it.
So, what happened?
It wasn’t the first time. The release of the computerized composite facial sketch also came out first in Manila and Police Regional Director Catalino Rodriguez said those facial sketches were from three different suspects. Later, the SITG in its press conference said those sketches referred to only one identified suspect -- Usman Hapids, the lone suspect identified with a name.
Last week, the country’s top officials visited the cities of Davao and Cagayan de Oro City for an inter-agency cooperation where security has been the top agenda. Since it involved security discussion, the media had been barred from covering it. They only got information after the meeting.
After the said meeting, 4th Infantry Division Commanding General Ricardo Visaya told reporters that the Oro blast is purely terrorism. He mentioned the involvement of Khilafa Islamiyah Movement (KIM), a new terror group that is apparently Al-Qaeda inspired, in which Hapids is a member.
The SITG through its spokesperson Police Superintendent Michael John Deloso said there isn’t a clear motive that could be established, however, terrorism has been highly considered, but not yet since the investigation is still ongoing.
The flow of information of the blast is erratic. When someone said something on the blast, SITG said otherwise.
So far, task groups or forces created to solve crimes at this magnitude are formed to appease people that something is being done, but in truth they’re like doormat.
Now, the blast updates seem to head into oblivion as its deafening silence has replaced the outrage showed and felt during the first week.
And the fact remains that those who have been emotionally and physically scarred from the blast are there to suffer until justice is served.
Quo vadis, SITG?
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 19, 2013.