Tourists rebook hotel stay after quake-A A +A
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
CEBU hotels and resorts reported rebooking requests from local and foreign guests following the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that rocked Visayas last week.
“There were no cancellations but there were some who opted to move their event dates next month hoping there will be no tremors by then,” said Hotels, Resort and Restaurant Association of Cebu (HRRAC) president Cenelyn Maguilimotan in a statement.
She said almost all HRRAC members have resumed normal hotel operations.
Radisson Blu Hotel Cebu, on the other hand, received rebooking requests for some of its meetings, incentive, convention and exhibition (Mice) events.
Ann Olalo, director of sales and marketing of Radisson Blu Hotel Cebu, said the World Eco Tourism Conference originally scheduled for mid-November has been postponed to February 2014. The international education contingent was also postponed to the first quarter of next year.
Olalo also said “they have moved some of their rooms business to other Cebu City hotels for the past week as they expedite repairs for the cosmetic damage that the hotel has sustained.”
“Radisson Blu continues to welcome guests at all times; all facilities are operational,” said Olalo.
As for the resorts, Manguilimotan said they received cancellations by Koreans. She said most of the packages sold to this market bundle Cebu and Bohol.
Plantation Bay Resorts and Spa communication manager Johanna Patalingjug said the resort received rebooking requests from foreign guests, mostly Koreans.
She said 50 to 60 rooms were rebooked after the earthquake.
“We received inquiries from guests about the aftershocks and the status of the hotel’s structure. Although we felt the effects of the quake, we did not suffer any significant structural damage and we continue with regular operations,” said Patalingjug. She said the resort only had little aesthetic cracks.
Plantation Bay’s major markets are locals, Koreans and Japanese. The resort is currently operating at 50 percent to 60 percent in occupancy.
Hotel operations at Costabella Tropical Beach Resort also remained uninterrupted after structural engineers thoroughly inspected the building after the earthquake.
Marilou Gica, sales and marketing manager of Costabella, assured guests in a statement that “the hotel remains safe and secured.”
The Department of Tourism 7 said in its travel advisory that “most hotels, resorts and other business establishments have resumed operations and business as usual is observed in Cebu and Panglao Island.”
Bernard Tanchan, general manager of Best Western Lex Cebu, said in a separate interview yesterday that six of their guests have cancelled their bookings due to the earthquake. He reported that some events have been postponed.
“Bookings have slowed down for the past few days,” said Tanchan.
Cebu City Marriott Hotel also experienced few cancellations but the hotel’s communication manager Charlene Go said they also had a number of guests who booked at the hotel after learning that the hotel is safe and free from structural damage.
“We accommodated a few walk-in guests who transferred to the hotel immediately after the quake last weekend, who were staying in nearby hotels,” said Go.
Tourism stakeholders in Cebu earlier said that the impact of the earthquake that hit Bohol and Cebu will cause a temporary setback in tourism. But they are optimistic that the tourism sector will recover immediately.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 24, 2013.