Lapu firecracker vendors report slight decline in sales-A A +A
Monday, December 30, 2013
FIRECRACKER vendors in Barangay Babag in Lapu-Lapu City reported a slight decline in sales this year.
Despite the slight decrease, however, vendors said they are still in favor of the Department of Health’s firecracker injury prevention campaign Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction or Apir.
Some vendors said in an interview with Sun.Star Cebu that although their sales for the year are down, they still support DOH’s campaign. They said the campaign did not affect their income.
“The campaign did not affect us... at least, the consumers are now aware of how to properly (use) firecrackers,” said Christopher Castillo, a firecracker vendor in Babag II, Lapu-Lapu City.
Castillo said that in his case, the sales this year are the same as that of last year.
He said, however, that they had more stocks to sell this year compared to last year.
Lilibeth Berame, another firecracker vendor, said the campaign was not the main reason why her sales were down this year. She said the most probable cause was super typhoon Yolanda that hit Visayas.
“Maybe some of the customers preferred to donate their budget for firecrackers to the victims of super typhoon Yolanda,” Berame said. (Joyse Almojallas and Jave Matugas, USJR MassCom Interns)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 31, 2013.