‘Slight’ increase in fees sought in Mactan airport | SunStar

‘Slight’ increase in fees sought in Mactan airport

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

‘Slight’ increase in fees sought in Mactan airport

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Looking for solutions. GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corp chief executive adviser Andrew Harrison (second from right) answers a question at the public hearing on proposed new airport fees held yesterday. (SunStar Foto/Allan Cuizon)

THE Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) could be implementing a “slight” increase in airport fees, if the board approves the measure.

MCIAA Acting General Manager Glenn B. Napuli said that GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corp. (GMCAC), the private operator of the MCIAA airport terminals under the public-private partnership (PPP) for 25 years, has applied for a 1.018 percent increase on top of the present rate because of inflation.

The fees cover aeronautical and tacking fees.

A public hearing was held yesterday to hear the views of stakeholders who will be affected.

Napuli is the MCIAA assistant general manager but is now the acting general manager because General Manager Steve Dicdican is presently in Barcelona, Spain for the World Routes Asia 2017.

Napuli, a lawayer, said that during the hearing, the Manila Air representive asked for the suspension of any increase imposed on them since they just began operating.

However, it did not oppose any move if the MCIAA will push through with the increase.

Cebu Pacific asked if an increase will push through if there is no more inflation. Napuli said that they would not push through if this occurs.

For its part, the Philippine Airlines (PAL) representative said that any increase is an additional burden to them because they are renting vehicles to ferry passengers and crew once the boarding bridge is not available.

Napuli said GMCAC chief executive adviser Andrew Harrison promised to find a solution to the problem.

The MCIAA board is set to meet and review the positions of stakeholders and decide on the matter.

Napuli added that they will conduct another public hearing once they approve the increase because they expect the carriers to charge it to the passengers. (EOB)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on September 27, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments