Tuburan coffee yields still rising | SunStar

Tuburan coffee yields still rising

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Tuburan coffee yields still rising

Monday, January 08, 2018

CEBU. A worker dries some beans in a Tuburan coffee farm. (SunStar Cebu/Alex Badayos)

COFFEE farmers in the Municipality of Tuburan, Cebu can now produce 4,000 to 5,000 kilos of export-quality coffee a month, higher than the 2,000 kilos per month they made in 2016.

Tuburan Mayor Democrito Diamante said their projection now is to produce 20 to 30 tons of coffee every month. At present, buyers purchase unprocessed coffee beans at P35 per kilo from Tuburan’s farmers.

In their Technical Working Group meeting last week, Diamante urged all stakeholders to empower the workers.

“The coffee project must be sustainable especially that we, politicians, come and go in the town. If I am no longer mayor, they might fight each other if they have no system to follow,” Diamante said.

Under the project, the participating people’s organization gets 10 percent of the proceeds. Of remaining 90 percent, the landowner will have 25 percent, and the rest are shared by workers.

The International Coffee Organization has projected that coffee production in Asia and Oceania will rise by some 4.4 percent, especially in Vietnam, the largest producer in the region. (EOB)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on January 08, 2018.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments