Makeup looks at the Video Music Awards-A A +A
Thursday, September 5, 2013
AT THE recent MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs), jaws dropped at Miley Cyrus’ raunchy performance with Robin Thicke. But, let’s not linger there, as your Facebook feed was probably riddled with visuals, reactions and opinions of the said performance.
Instead, let’s talk about the gorgeous makeup looks that were spotted on the red carpet that night, and how you can replicate them—no celebrity makeup artist needed.
She kept her hair sleek, her makeup fairly simple and sophisticated, balancing out her dramatic dress with a thigh-high slit.
• Apply a medium-coverage foundation to make skin look smooth and flawless, but not
too matte. Apply concealer where needed.
• Selena’s eyebrows were rather undone for a red carpet event. If you have sparse eyebrows, lightly fill them in with some pencil or brow powder without really defining the shape. If your eyebrows are already full, just brush them into place.
• For this look, it’s all about eyeliner and mascara instead of eyeshadow. Use gel or liquid liner on the upper lash line beginning from the inner curve of the iris. Wing it out at the outer corner. Curl lashes, then apply two to three coats of mascara for Selena’s fluttery look.
• She doesn’t appear to be wearing blush. Just contour beneath the cheeks with a matte warm-tone bronzer. Sweep on some highlighter on the tops of the cheekbones.
• For her sun-kissed skin, use a fluffier brush to lightly dust bronzer on temples, jaw and nose. You can use your contouring bronzer or opt for one with a little more shimmer in it.
• Achieve her berry lips by using a creamy berry lipstick, or try a chubby lip pencil with a little gloss on top.
For the VMAs, her curly blond hair was styled in a faux bob, and she sported her signature red lips.
• The look was all about eyes and lips. Keep skin looking smooth and matte, with low-key brows and cheeks.
• To copy her eye makeup, sweep a shimmery gray on lids up to the crease. Use a smaller brush to apply the same shade beneath the lower lash lines. Apply a shimmery champagne eyeshadow on the inner corners. Use black pencil to line all around the eyes, all the way towards the tear ducts. Use an eyelash curler, then apply mascara on both top and bottom lashes.
• For Taylor’s signature pout, use a red or deep berry lip liner all around lips, slightly emphasizing the dip in the cupid’s bow to mimic the shape of her lips. She often wears a true blue-toned red, but for this look, pick a slightly warmer and less stark shade of red.
The Glee star’s smokey eyes and pale lips would look perfect on your next night out.
• Use a metallic gunmetal eyeshadow on the lids up to the crease to create the smokey eye. Blend well, but create a winged shape on the outer corners for a more sultry look. The tip of the wing should be no further out than where your eyebrows end. Apply silver shadow on the inner corners and inner third of the eye. Use black eyeliner on the top lash line and in the lower inner rims of the eyes, smudging the outer edges.
Brush on several coats of mascara and put on false eyelashes.
• To mimic Naya’s facial structure, contour the cheeks and down the nose to make those features appear slimmer.
• Keep attention on dramatic eyes with a pinky nude lip.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 06, 2013.