Learning from YouTube Beauty Gurus-A A +A
Thursday, October 31, 2013
BEAUTY YouTubers Say Tioco Artillero and Noe Mae Villagonzalo recently conducted a Makeup Made Easy workshop for 21 excited, kikay Cebuanas at Harold’s Hotel. The workshop covered topics like skincare, brushes, varieties of formulations for makeup, plus a demonstration on a day-to-night makeup look.
I enjoy watching beauty YouTubers from all over, but the great thing about Filipina YouTubers is being able to see girls that we can relate to, who use products that can be found in the Philippines. I have been learning about beauty, discovering products and practicing makeup on myself for 10 years.
I started dabbling in beauty when I was going to high school in the US, where many girls would wear a full face to class everyday. Beauty videos, product reviews and blogs were not as abundant then as they are today.
Access to beauty products released abroad is still improving here. I relied on practicing application on my own and reading everything I could, from websites to books and magazines.
Watching beauty videos on YouTube is extremely helpful for me and for other ladies wanting to learn more about makeup, especially to observe application skills. Thank goodness indeed for YouTube and all the information that is readily available to us now.
Say is a fellow beauty enthusiast from Manila; Noe is a professional makeup artist from Cebu. They both love makeup! Each of them has about 40,000 subscribers on their YouTube channels and blogs, which focus on beauty and lifestyle. The Makeup Made Easy workshop was a great opportunity for ladies to learn from these two beauty gurus. Here are some of the tips that they shared during the workshop:
• Choose products according to your skin type, especially for foundation. Determine if your skin is normal, oily, dry, sensitive or combination.
• It’s very important to tailor your skincare routine according to skin type. Always read product labels for descriptions.
• “Eyebrows can make or break your look,” Noe says. She spends 8 to 10 minutes just on her eyebrows when she goes out. Groom eyebrows with eyebrow pencil, eyebrow powder, and a spoolie. Use a flat brush to apply concealer just beyond eyebrow hairs to clean up your brow work.
• Say never leaves the house without concealer. It can double as foundation to even out imperfections. Apply on problem areas, blend well, and set with powder.
• Always consider your eye shape and face shape when applying makeup. Consider what you want to highlight, and what you want to recede.
• Make sure to spot-clean brushes using a brush cleaning solution. Deep clean brushes with baby shampoo about once a month; not too often, or the brush ferrules may weaken. Dirty brushes can definitely cause pimples or skin irritation.
• You don’t need all expensive products to get a great look. While some are definitely worth the splurge, beauty on a budget is completely attainable with good application skills.
Remember that outside beauty isn’t everything. Noe has a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the University of San Jose-Recoletos. Say is a Marketing graduate from the University of Sto. Tomas, and I got my master’s degree in Professional Communication from the University of Sydney. Always put as much effort into what’s between your ears as what is on your face.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on November 01, 2013.