Beauty Resolutions-A A +A
Thursday, January 2, 2014
HAPPY new year, everyone! New year, new calendar, new planner—new beauty habits? Why not? Here are a few to inspire you.
• Take better care of your skin. While there are women I know go the whole 9 yards and then some with skin care and treatments, others don’t bother with anything except for soap or facial wash. If you’re over 25, start using anti-aging products, including eye cream. And always drink plenty of water, even if you aren’t particularly thirsty.
• Wear sunscreen. If the current weather is any indication, it’s going to be very hot this summer. Apply sunscreen to avoid premature wrinkling and freckles, which are effects of sun damage.
• If you’ve had the same look for the last five years, it’s high time to change it. If you’ve always had long hair, chop off several inches or try some layers to give your hair some movement and flatter your face shape better. Or...
• Try a different hair color. Going blonde seems to be quite the trend around town, but this can be tiring to maintain and really dry your hair out. Try going just two shades lighter than your natural color. Subtle highlights will also change up your look, without having to go for color touch-ups as frequently as one base color, since they will blend into your hair.
• Give your beauty collection an overhaul. If you only have face powder and lip balm, try picking up a lipstick, even if it’s just an MLBB (My Lips But Better) shade. If you’re already finished with school, you definitely need to look more polished in the work environment, and lipstick is the no-brainer way to add something to your look.
On the other side of the spectrum, if you have amassed enough cosmetics to last you two lifetimes (guilty!) and you are overwhelmed with your choices, part with some items. I’m always interested in the new lines that makeup brands release and the new colors and formulas, so I have grown quite a collection, but I do try to use everything I own. However, if there are simply some things that don’t work for me or I don’t like for whatever reason, I usually give them away (after disinfecting, of course) to friends who might have better use for it.
Once you’ve done this, you can proceed to reorganize and...
• Keep your beauty things tidy (photo above). Why don’t you give your beauty supplies a proper home instead of just stashing everything in a makeup bag or plain box? You’ll save time while getting ready because you don’t have to keep digging for your stuff; tote just the essentials in your makeup bag. Having proper storage also means less chance of an eyeshadow or blush breaking, or a lipstick losing its cap and messing things up. I especially love clear acrylic storage so that I can see what I have. If you follow me on Instagram, I posted this photo of my storage a while back. You can buy this kind of storage from online sellers or the home section of department stores.
If you have more beauty resolutions, please share them with me through my contact information below. Wishing you all your best and most beautiful year yet!
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 03, 2014.