Rainy day beauty activities-A A +A
Thursday, July 17, 2014
WHO says that only children get restless during rainy days and nights? As grown-ups, we can’t always be bothered to brave the traffic that usually comes with the rain. If you’re spending a cozy evening in, here are a few prettifying things you can do to while away the time.
• Give yourself a hair spa. Wash your hair thoroughly and follow it up with a deep-conditioning hair mask to give those tresses some extra TLC. Distribute the hair mask evenly from the ears down, especially on the ends of hair, which are most prone to damage. Pile your hair on top of your head and put a plastic shower cap over it to really help the product penetrate, then rinse off after half an hour.
• While waiting for your hair mask to sink in, do a face mask as well. Take your pick between a sheet mask or a cream one. Put on a headband to keep hair from sticking to your mask. You can also use one of those nose strips to help de-clog your pores. Do this after washing and/or exfoliating your face.
• Do a body scrub. Go in circular motions all over the body. Don’t apply too much pressure or treat your skin like a dirty frying pan, but take your time and be gentle to get skin really soft and smooth. Concentrate on spots where skin tends to be rough, like the elbows and feet.
• Treat your tips and toes. Since you’ve got plenty of time, clip your nails and shape them with a nail file. Trim those unsightly hang nails. Never cut your cuticles, but soften them with cuticle cream or hand lotion and gently push them back with a wooden cuticle stick. Slather your feet with body butter and wear cotton socks to keep the moisture in before going to bed, and wake up to ultra-soft feet the day after.
• If you want to jazz up your fingers and toes, try doing some nail art. A rainy evening could be the perfect opportunity to try your hand at nail art (ha, a pun!), which would be time-consuming on a busy day or night. If you’re too impatient to bother with teeny tiny stones or don’t have nail art pens for intricate designs, try simple patterns like polka dots or use nail art stickers after your polish has completely dried.
Tip: When using different colors, let each color dry before proceeding with the next one, so that they don’t run together.
• Sleep. This could be the simplest, most obvious answer. If you’ve had a hectic week and haven’t been getting enough restful sleep, now is the time to catch up on those zzs. Beauty sleep is a real thing; this is the time your body rejuvenates, so always make sure you get enough. For most adults, the recommended number of hours is between seven to nine. Don’t forget to apply your face cream and eye cream for nighttime before dozing off.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 18, 2014.