4 Sun.Star Cebu journalists win 2015 Sinulog film, docu prizes

Monday, February 2, 2015 - 12:12 a.m.

CEBU CITY -- Foor Sun.Star Cebu journalists won several awards during the Sinulog Short Film and Documentary Festival 2015, whose prizes were handed out last Saturday night.

Msgr. Binghay says justice must be sought without bloodshed, no fingerpointing

Monday, February 2, 2015 - 12:09 a.m.

A CHURCH official urged the public not to support calls for an “all-out war” in Mindanao following the deaths of 44 policemen in the alleged misencounter between the PNP Special Action Force and elements of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF).

“Let us seek justice without resorting to violence. If we resort to violence, there will always be collateral damage, especially on the civilians,” said Msgr. Esteban Binghay of the Archdiocese of Cebu.

Mayor creates new bids, awards committee

Monday, February 2, 2015 - 12:06 a.m.

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama has formed a new Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) for infrastructure.

The creation of a new BAC is an offshoot of the declaration of a failure of bidding for the construction of the new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) in December last year.

Mayor to DPWH: ‘Fix S. Osmeña Blvd. quickly’

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:43 p.m.

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama wants the road concreting project being implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 on S. Osmeña Blvd. fast-tracked.

Nalzaro wants lawyers out

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:41 p.m.

BROADCASTER Bobby Nalzaro filed a motion asking two Cebu City prosecutors to voluntarily inhibit themselves from conducting the preliminary investigation on the libel complaint filed against him by former congressman Tomas Osmeña.

Prosecutors Gandhi Truya and Maria Theresa Casiño were asked to exclude themselves from the panel, which also includes Prosecutor Misty Leah Escobar Hupp, to avoid bias.

Store fire destroys P1M in north town

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:39 p.m.

SOME P1 million worth of properties were destroyed after a fire broke out at Prince Hypermart in Daanbantayan, Cebu before noon last Saturday.

SFO 3 Roger Loro, officer-in-charge of Daanbantayan Fire Station, believe the blaze may have been caused by a thrown cigarette butt or a pile of boxes that caught fire due to hot temperature.

Mayor creates new bids, awards committee

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:38 p.m.

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama has formed a new Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) for infrastructure.

The creation of a new BAC is an offshoot of the declaration of a failure of bidding for the construction of the new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) in December last year.

CAAP to develop island airports

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:37 p.m.

THE airports in the islands of Bantayan and Camotes may soon be developed after the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) agreed to work with the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) and Province of Cebu.

Aside from these two airports, MCIAA General Manager Nigel Paul Villarete said they are also looking at the possibility of putting an aerodrome in northern Cebu for the relocation of general aviation facilities of MCIA.

Mayors say they facilitated release of P2B assistance

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:35 p.m.

MAYORS in northern Cebu yesterday said that contrary to the report of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), they were the ones who facilitated for the allocation of close to P2 billion for the typhoon Yolanda survivors who lost their homes.

The P2 billion is only for nine out of 16 municipalities in northern Cebu that were badly damaged by Yolanda last Nov. 8, 2013.

‘Jealousy’ drives man to shoot self in head

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:34 p.m.

A PORTER is in critical condition after he shot himself following a fight with his live-in partner in Barangay Suba, Cebu City last Saturday night.

John, 28, who works at Pasil Fish Market, sustained a gunshot wound in the head.

Buzz: Multi-tasking

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:32 p.m.

ALTHOUGH this local government unit in the south has thousands of job-order employees, it failed to assign personnel to a vital department, its emergency response office.

The emergency response team’s personnel shortage is so pronounced that its paramedics have resorted to multi-tasking. One paramedic drives the ambulance in addition to his other duties.

'Dare to Live' reaps awards in Sinulog 2015 film fest

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:21 a.m.

CEBU CITY -- A film about children diagnosed with cancer ruled in this year's Sinulog Video Documentary & Short Film Festival.

2 fallen heroes now home again

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 03:10 a.m.

CEBU -- The remains of two Cebuano police officers killed in Maguindanao arrived home yesterday morning, placed inside flag-draped caskets that fellow police officers carried slowly across the tarmac of Mactan airport as colleagues saluted and relatives wept.

2 heroes now home again

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:57 p.m.

CEBU -- The remains of two Cebuano police officers killed in Maguindanao arrived home yesterday morning, placed inside flag-draped caskets that fellow police officers carried slowly across the tarmac of Mactan airport as colleagues saluted and relatives wept.

‘There were so many things we wanted to do’

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:56 p.m.

IF SHE could give one last message to her husband, Dr. Christine Cempron would say it in Cebuano.

“Whenever I spoke in English, he would always say, ‘Nosebleed!’,” the 33-year-old wife of PO1 Romeo Cempron said, her face lighting up.

Functioning MRFs would’ve help cut down waste collected from barangays

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:53 p.m.

NOT all barangays in Cebu City have a completely functional materials recovery facility (MRF).

Tax holiday ‘to encourage’ payment

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:52 p.m.

DELINQUENT taxpayers in Cebu City may be in for a tax holiday.

In his proposed ordinance, Councilor Noel Wenceslao wants to waive interest on unpaid real property taxes (RPT).

CH to hire additional manpower

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:51 p.m.

THE Cebu City Government is set to form its own project team to supervise the implementation of the Cebu Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project.

NGCP asked to explain spending

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:50 p.m.

THE National Association of Electricity Consumers for Reforms (Nasecore) yesterday asked the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) to order the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) to explain how it used the funds granted to it in the past years.

The ERC conducted a hearing for Visayas stakeholders last Wednesday on the NGCP’s application for the approval of the maximum allowable revenue for 2015 and the net performance incentive for 2014 under the Rules on Setting Transmission Wheeling Rates.

Organizers seek bigger venue for Sinulog Grand Parade

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:49 p.m.

ORGANIZERS of the Sinulog Grand Parade admitted that crowd control was one of many problems they encountered during this year’s celebration.

World’s wetlands disappearing

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:48 p.m.

THE international convention advocating for the conservation of wetlands revealed that 64 percent of the world’s wetlands have disappeared since 1900.

Immigration bureau achieves 45-second processing standard

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:42 p.m.

AN arriving international passenger can be cleared at the Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) in 30 seconds, officials claimed.

Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Siegfred Mison announced the upgrading of the bureau's facilities through the installation of 29 passport readers and 20 complementary computers.

Cops secure Cambang-ug hall

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:41 p.m.

CEBU Provincial Police Office (CPPO) Director Noel Gillamac ordered Supt. Ricky Delelis to secure the barangay hall of Cambang-ug, Toledo City, following reports that workers fear for their lives, while the suspect in the killing of their barangay captain remains free.

Gillamac wants two policemen assigned in every shift at the barangay hall for 24 hours, after he received reports that barangay workers refuse to go to work after the death of Captain Timoteo Largo, 65, last Jan. 6.

Rob suspect flees from policemen, shot, wounded

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:26 p.m.

A MAN who allegedly robbed a gasoline station was shot and wounded by police following a brief chase in Pinamungajan, midwest of Cebu, last Friday morning.

Luciano “Badyaw” Saramosing Jr., 27, drew his .38 revolver, but was shot first by PO2 Froilan Velasquez in the left leg.

Prov’l police office formally named after revolutionary hero

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 11:25 p.m.

IT’S official.

The Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) in Sudlon, Lahug, Cebu City is now named after a local revolutionary hero, Gen. Arcadio Maxilom, said CPPO Director Senior Supt. Noel Gillamac.

Bodies of 2 Cebuano commandos due today

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 01:26 a.m.

CEBU CITY -- The bodies of two Cebuanos who served in the Philippine National Police (PNP) Special Action Force (SAF) are expected to arrive today (January 31) in Mactan, nearly a week after 44 of the country’s elite policemen died in an operation in Maguindanao.

Bodies of 2 SAF men from Cebu due today

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 01:11 a.m.

CEBU CITY -- The bodies of two Cebuanos who served in the Philippine National Police (PNP) Special Action Force (SAF) are expected to arrive today (January 31) in Mactan, nearly a week after 44 of the country’s elite policemen died in an operation in Maguindanao.

9 LGUs get checks to be distributed to typhoon survivors

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:22 a.m.

THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has distributed checks worth P2 billion as shelter assistance to typhoon Yolanda survivors in nine local government units in northern Cebu.

The Emergency Shelter Assistance (ESA) funds went to Sta. Fe, P95.83 million;

CIDG anti-crime drive nets 13 suspects, shabu in 3 days

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:20 a.m.

LAW enforcers arrested 13 persons, among them a fugitive and a policeman, and seized more than P1 million worth of illegal drugs and firearms in Central Visayas in the last three days.

Senior Supt. Ritchie Posadas, director of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) 7, said that the haul is part of the police unit’s “one time, big time” nationwide operation against all forms of crimes.

City Hall complex to rise at the SRP?

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 12:00 a.m.

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama plans to transfer City Hall to the South Road Properties (SRP.

That way, all offices of the City Government will be in one place and it will be near other government offices.

FOREX: US$ 1.00 = PhP 44.132

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas

Philippine Lotto Results

Gamesort iconCombinations
Superlotto 6/4920-12-40-14-09-05
Swertres Lotto 11AM8-2-4
Swertres Lotto 4PM3-4-6
Swertres Lotto 9PM9-7-6
EZ2 Lotto 9PM23-31
More results

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for February 2, 2015

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Technology
  • Pacman blog
  • Festivals
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pnoy
  • Calamity Report
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Philippine Polls
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • ePaper
  • goodearth
  • Sinulog