Joavan leaves bail papers behind-A A +A
Thursday, March 10, 2011
JOAVAN Fernandez yesterday posted a P100,000 surety bond for his temporary liberty in connection with a robbery case a store attendant filed against him last year.
But before he could secure his release papers from the Regional Trial Court Branch 18,
Joavan hurriedly left the Palace of Justice after members of the media arrived to cover him past 1 p.m. yesterday.
Joavan, accompanied by a bondsman, went to the Palace of Justice and posted bail past 1 p.m. They went to the sala of Judge Gilbert Moises on the third floor to process his release paper.
Joavan, the son of Talisay City Mayor Socrates Fernandez, posted bail on the same day Moises issued a warrant of arrest against him.
Before the court staff finished his release papers, Joavan and his companion ran downstairs, apparently to elude a television news team covering him.
As he stepped out of the Palace of Justice, Joavan quickly told reporters he did not force Raymond Paran into executing an affidavit of desistance.
Joavan said Paran could have executed his affidavit a long time ago.
Sensing that more reporters were coming to cover him, Joavan rushed downstairs and left the court premises. He did not come back to complete the signing of his release papers.
Judge Moises told reporters the arrest warrant against Joavan is still in effect because he has yet to get his release papers.
Moises ordered the Office of the Talisay City Prosecutor to submit its comment within three days to the motion to dismiss filed by Paran. The hearing to the motion is set on March 16.
Earlier, Talisay City Prosecutor Marshall Rubia said Paran’s absence will affect the
case against the mayor’s son, although he assured he will have the note authenticated.
The robbery case may push through without a complainant, but will depend on what evidence the prosecution can present in court.
Paran accused Joavan of firing a shot at him because he failed to immediately take his order of soft drinks at a clubhouse last December.
Last Tuesday, Paran submitted his one-page affidavit of desistance and an “extremely urgent ex-parte motion to dismiss” the case.
In his affidavit, Paran said he and Joavan “amicably settled the problem” and that what happened between them last Dec. 15 was a result of “a misunderstanding.”
Senior Insp. Errol Francis de Veyra, acting Talisay City police chief, said Paran quit his job.
Paran left behind an unsigned handwritten note stating he was no longer interested in pursuing the case due to threats.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 10, 2011.