No need for Council nod on Fuente: Rama-A A +A
Friday, April 15, 2011
CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama disclosed yesterday he already had initial talks with Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia over the ownership of the Fuente Osmeña Rotunda, a historical landmark of the city.
The mayor is confident the Provincial Government will withdraw the case it filed in court, claiming ownership of the lot.
Rama said he doesn’t need the City Council’s authority for him to negotiate, since he is merely discussing the matter with the governor.
Earlier, Councilor Edgardo Labella advised the mayor to first get an authority from the City Council to enter into an agreement with Capitol.
But Rama clarified there’s no need for him to ask for authority since he is only appealing to the governor to retract the case.
“Ug muingon ang Province nga tabangan nato ang Fuente kay ato nang tanan nga mga Sugbuanon. Kinahanglan pa ba diay na og negosasyon? (And the Province said we will work together on Fuente because that belongs to all of us Cebuanos. Does that still need a negotiation?” Rama said.
Rama clarified he doesn’t have the commitment yet from the governor, but he is optimistic that Garcia will consider his request.
Recent developments show an improving relationship between the Cebu City and Provincial Governments, since Rama assumed office last year.
Lately, the two local government units agreed to open the Larsian access road, which the Province owns, on condition that Capitol’s flatbed trailer the City Traffic Operations and Mangement (Citom) towed last year be returned.
Rama said he has explained to the governor that there should be no conflict of ownership of the century-old Fuente Osmeña Rotunda.
“Akong gi-estoryahan ang governor nga dili lang ta maglalis ana, gov, kay ang Fuente Osmeña represents a heritage for all of us Cebuanos, so, abangan na lang ang susunod na kabanata (I talked to the governor that we shouldn’t argue about that, so let’s
just wait for the next chapter),” Rama said.
Rama said once the Fuente Osmeña Rotunda ownership issue is resolved, he will find a way that the City and Capitol can also work together in developing the Cebu City Zoo.
The Provincial Government also claimed ownership of the seven-hectare lot occupied by the facility.
Rama dispelled speculations that his actions are a publicity stunt, saying he is just working for the betterment of the city’s constituency.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on April 15, 2011.