Measures 80-85 percent done, Gwen says

-A A +A

Tuesday, May 3, 2011


THE reported coal dust from a coal-fired power plant in Naga City last week came from the testing process conducted by the company on its “stacking system” following repair works.

Meanwhile, Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia doubted if the cease and desist order will still hold because the measures implemented at the site are already 80 to 85 percent complete, according to the recent inspection conducted by a team from the Provincial Capitol.

Engr. Reinerio Lastimoso, Kepco-SPC (KSPC) general manager for community, public relations and environment, said the tripper stacker that transports raw coal to the stockyard was not working exactly a week ago and had to be repaired.

Lastimoso said repairs were immediately conducted and were finished by 6:46 p.m. last Saturday.

Lastimoso’s statement was the company’s reply to Rodien Paca of the Naganian Awareness against Pollution Association (Naapa), who said there were residents who have complained once again of coal dust pollution, particularly in Barangay North Poblacion.

Paca said the coal dust caused eye irritations to his grandfather and five other residents.

He also said the group has set up wind catchers and white balloons to catch coal dust.

This was the second complaint on coal dust pollution against the company.

Naga City Mayor Val Chiong and some residents had complained of pollution last March after the hauling of raw coal into the KSPC compound.

A cease and desist order was issued by Chiong and Garcia, which gave the company until April 30 to install mitigating measures to address coal dust pollution.

In place

All measures are in place, Lastimoso said.

At the Capitol, Gov. Garcia said that based on the recent inspection conducted, the measures implemented at the site were already 80 to 85 percent complete.

She doubted if the cease and desist order will still hold following the development of the measures implemented.

Garcia said she is waiting for a complete report from Provincial Engineer Eulogio Pelayre, whom the governor sent yesterday to check the site again.

She said the coal storage facility showed an improvement compared to the first
delivery of coal, which prompted residents to complain.

She said 10-meter fences and nets that go all the way to the roof shed have been set up.

Belt

KSPC also continues to sprinkle the coal.

Addressing on a complaint of a male resident in Naga about the coal dust, Garcia said, the conveyor belt is inside the coal yard.

“If he would complain about dust in his house and he smelled it and it is really sticking to the windows, to the laundry, to his eyelash kana moa na’y klarong indication nga nakasamok na pud ang coal dust,” she told reporters.

She said how can residents complain about dust in the conveyor, while it is located above?

Meanwhile, a five-man council will serve as an environmental advisory body of KSPC.

Rep. Eduardo R. Gullas (Cebu, 1st district) revealed that KSPC initiated the move to have a special body that will advise the power-producing firm on “environmental
matters.”

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 03, 2011.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for July 23, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Technology
  • Sinulog
  • Festivals
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • goodearth
  • ePaper
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Calamity Report
  • Philippine Polls
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!