1 hurt in fire that razed house in Sambag 1-A A +A
Sunday, July 3, 2011
FIRE razed a house in Barangay Sambag 1, Cebu City around 1:30 a.m. yesterday, injuring a 95-year-old woman.
Sepriana Abos, who is paralyzed, suffered second-degree burns in her face.
The family’s two dogs, which were unleashed when the fire broke out, were killed when they returned inside the burning house and were trapped.
Neighboring houses and dormitories were spared, after the blaze was declared under control after five minutes.
Fire officials said they are still investigating the cause of the blaze.
Damage was estimated at P150,000.
The flames also burned several power lines, causing a blackout in the area.
According to SFO3 Jimmy Layao of the Cebu City Fire Department, the fire started in the second floor of the house, which is owned by Gloria Cortez.
Cortez has been in Manila since December.
Sepriana, who rented a room downstairs with 62-year-old son Catalino and helper, was asleep when the fire broke out.
Catalino saved her by placing her in a wheelchair, according to witnesses.
Sepriana was treated by the Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation personnel.
Catalino, who teaches in a university, said they lost all their belongings because they didn’t have time to gather anything since the flames quickly engulfed the old structure.
The house’s caretaker, Paterno Sarvida, 48, said his family also lost all their belongings.
There was a slight commotion when Paterno couldn’t find his 80-year-old mother Carmen.
He and his family, with the help of firefighters, frantically rummaged through the remains of the charred house.
To their relief, they found out Carmen had gone to Banawa Friday night.
Paterno told Sun.Star Cebu his mother usually slept upstairs and could hardly move.
“Kung naa pa ‘to si mama, kuyaw kay ‘to siya mamatay (If my mother had been here, she could have died),” he said.
“We were lucky there was hardly any wind to fan the flames,” he said in Cebuano.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 03, 2011.