City starts P50M dredge works-A A +A
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
THE Cebu City Government has already started the P50-million dredging of five creeks and river catchments in the city and expects to finish after six months.
Engr. June Nadine Sison of the Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) said early this month, the dredging activities already started at the Bulacao River
catchment, Tagunol River catchment, Mahiga Creek, Lahug River catchment and Estero-Parian catchment.
The dredging activity, which is being done by different contractors, is funded by the P50 million that the City tapped from the City’s calamity fund last year.
In an interview, Sison admitted that the dredging activities, particularly at Estero-Parian, will not be easy, considering the presence of various establishments in the area.
The Estero-Parian is the creek in the downtown area of the city that passes through Legaspi St. to D. Jakosalem St. Its waters exit at the port area in Barangay Tinago.
Sison assured, though, that the dredging of the Estero-Parian creek will also be finished by June.
Sison said bad weather had delayed the dredging of creeks and rivers.
The City’s dredging of creeks and rivers was supposed to start in July last year.
Also, Sison said the notice to proceed (NTP) issued to the contractors in December yet.
Although the project has been awarded to them already, Sison said the contractors did not proceed with the implementation of the project the absence of the NTP, considering that such practice has already been prohibited by the Commission on Audit (COA).
Once the dredging activities will be finished, Sison said the public can expect improvement in the water system of the city.
Silted creeks and rivers are among the reasons its waters immediately overflow during heavy rains, flooding the city’s streets.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 24, 2012.