Danao VM camp says recall poll still feasible

-A A +A

Saturday, March 10, 2012


THE camp of Danao City Vice Mayor Ramon “Nito” Durano III will ask Comelec Chairman Sixto Brilliantes Jr. to reconsider his decision to discontinue all petitions for recall.

Their counsel said there is still time and there is available budget.

“Our position is consistent with the law,” said John Cane, Danao City councilor and counsel of Vice Mayor Nito.

The vice mayor is spearheading the recall petition against his brother, Danao City Mayor Ramon “Boy” Durano Jr.

Cane said his camp is 90 percent sure that the recall election will push through.

The Commission on Elections (Comelec), in Resolution 9374 dated March 7, said “it is no longer feasible to conduct recall election at this point in time considering budgetary constraints and the tedious preparatory activities needed for the conduct of recall elections.”

“Time element, naa pa man (We still have time),” Cane said, adding they still have two months before May 13.

The Comelec, in the resolution, said “the recall election shall be held not later than one (1) year immediately preceding the next regular election. This means that for 2012, recall election must be held on or before May 12, as the regular local election is set on May 13, 2013.”

Cane said they have complied with all requirements for the recall. What’s lacking is a schedule.

In its resolution, the Comelec indeed pointed out that out of 38 petitions for recall filed after the May 2010 elections, 14 had been found sufficient.

Of the 14, only three have gone through the verification of signatures submitted with the recall petition.

The petition against the Danao City mayor is one of these three that have hurdled this requirement.

As to budget, Cane said that based on general appropriations, the commission still has P5 million, “which is more than enough to fund a special election.”

He said that when then representative Ace Durano was appointed as tourism secretary in 2004, Comelec only spent P5 million for a special election for the fifth district, which has nine municipalities plus Danao City.

So, with Danao City having 78,000 registered voters, Cane said P2 million for a special election is already big.

The Comelec said it expected to spend P114.46 million if all 14 sufficient petitions were to proceed to a recall election. It said it had no budget for that.

If nothing happens to their motion for reconsideration, Cane said their last recourse is the Supreme Court.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 11, 2012.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for July 31, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Festivals
  • Habemus Papam
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Technology
  • Sinulog
  • ePaper
  • Philippine Polls
  • goodearth
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Calamity Report