Girl, 9, gang-raped twice, probe shows

-A A +A

Friday, June 8, 2012


THE nine-year-old girl in Dumanjug town, Cebu was found to have been gang-raped twice, Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale said yesterday.

Before the May 10 incident, the girl, according to Magpale was also sexually abused last year.

The 15-year-old minor, who was one of the five minors tagged in the May 10 incident, also allegedly participated in last year’s rape of the girl.

Magpale, however, said that in the recent incident the 15-year-old boy only accompanied the other suspects but did not participate in raping the girl.

Magpale, vice chairman of the Provincial Council for the Welfare of Children (PCWC), said that the boy probably bragged about last year’s incident.

Last May 10, the boy together with four other minors went to the beach together with the girl. The alleged gang rape happened in a nipa hut near the beach.

The Provincial Women’s Commission (PWC) initially wanted to file a case against the 15-year-old boy. The investigation, however, showed that the boy did not take part in the sexual abuse.

In last year’s incident, the boy was only 14 years old.

Section 6 of Republic Act 9344, or the Juvenile Justice and Welfare Act of 2006 states that “A child 15 years of age or under at the time of the commission of the offense shall be exempt from criminal liability.”

The law added that “A child above 15 years but below 18 years of age shall likewise be exempt from criminal liability and be subjected to an intervention program, unless he/she has acted with discernment, in which case, such child shall be subjected to the appropriate proceedings in accordance with this Act.”

Because of this, Magpale said that all the five suspects, who admitted to the crime, as well as the victim, will be recommended to undergo counseling.

Their parents will also be asked to join in the counseling.

The PWC believed that the girl was a “slow learner,” making her vulnerable to sexual abuse.

Magpale said she saw the need to conduct an assessment on the child’s mental condition. She will also ask help from a special education teacher.

She said the victim may be transferred to a school, with a special education curriculum, in Dumanjug.

Magpale said the medical report of the girl tested negative because there were no semen and laceration found on her private organ.

Magpale said it is understandable, though, that semen would no longer be found in the girl’s sexual organ because the incident was reported late. The tissues on the girl’s sexual organ are also flexible, which explains the absence of laceration.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 08, 2012.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for July 29, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Philippine Polls
  • Filipino Abroad
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • Festivals
  • Habemus Papam
  • Pacman blog
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Calamity Report
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sinulog