Griffiths accuses prosecution of spreading ‘lies’-A A +A
Sunday, June 24, 2012
ONE of the suspects in the killing of a six-year-old girl last year expressed his disappointment with the prosecution.
Ian Charles Griffiths said, “I am truly disappointed by the continuous stream of lies being promulgated by the prosecutors who seek to bolster their own morale and standing even though they must be aware that they are fast losing this case.”
Griffiths and his girlfriend Bella Ruby Santos are accused of killing six-year-old Ellah Joy Pique last year. Griffiths is living in the United Kingdom.
Prosecution lawyer Inocencio dela Cerna said Griffiths should face trial.
“The truth really hurts. If he is innocent, he must come here and face the case head on,” said dela Cerna in a text message. “As the case is progressing so is the noose around his neck getting tighter.”
Defense lawyers said it is not true that the prosecution’s nine-year-old witness was able to identify Santos and Griffiths as the ones who allegedly abducted Ellah Joy.
“Their statements are absolutely and completely untrue,” said the defense’s press statement.
During the testimony of the child witness, the defense said she was approached by a foreigner and his Filipino companion outside her school in Naga City on the day Ellah Joy disappeared.
The witness described the male driver as being a “black man” not light-skinned.
Griffiths is Caucasian.
The child, according to the defense, failed to identify Griffiths from the pictures shown to her. She also failed to identify the color of the Pajero reportedly used in abducting Ellah Joy.
“Those who are interested may scrutinize the transcript of stenographic notes for transparency and accuracy purposes,” the defense said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 24, 2012.