Payments for projects under calamity fund held-A A +A
Sunday, July 1, 2012
PAYMENTS for the projects covered by the Cebu City Government’s calamity fund last year may not be released yet.
This, after the City Council decided “to lay on the table” the resolution of Councilor Rodrigo Abellanosa that seeks to charge P98,757,187.69 to the Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council’s (LDRRMC) trust fund.
During their regular session last Wednesday, the council said it wanted the LDRRMC to report on the status of the projects paid for using the calamity fund.
Based on the records of the LDRRMC, the P98.7 million covers the dredging of the Lahing-Lahing creek (P12.5 million), Estero-Parian creek (P4.9 million), Tagunol River (P2.6 million), T. Padilla creek (P6.6 million), and Bulacao River (P13 million), among others.
The amount also covers the construction of a wastewater treatment plant at the sanitary landfill in Barangay Inayawan (P5.3 million); other flood mitigation projects like construction of gabions, retaining walls, and riverbank protection; and purchase and rental of heavy equipment, as well as livelihood assistance to fire victims.
But Alvin Santillana of the LDRRMC, in appearing before the legislative body, failed to give a comprehensive report on the matter.
Santillana said some of the projects are ongoing and some have been completed and whose payments are already being processed.
Asked what projects have been completed, Santillana said he could not say yet because he didn’t have the records at that time.
“Next time, you should come here prepared,” Vice Mayor Joy Augustus Young told him.
Also, Councilor Alvin Dizon questioned why the P12.5-million dredging of Lahing-Lahing creek took some time to be implemented.
Santillana said the project began in November last year.
Dizon recalled that the City had wanted to immediately demolish the illegal structures that sit within the three-meter easement of the creek so the dredging operations could start right away. The structures were demolished early last year.
“Na-displace na nuon ang mga tawo. Mas peligro na nuon karon kay ang tubig modiritso na sa dalan kay wa nay structure nga nag-ali. Maayo man daw tong sauna kay magpugngan ra ang tubig (People were displaced. It’s a riskier situation because the water goes directly to the streets now that there are no structures near the creek),” he said.
Until LDRRMC can give a detailed report on the status of the projects, Councilor Augustus Pe Jr. suggested the deferment of Abellanosa’s resolution.
Abellanosa, however, moved for the resolution to be tabled.
The P98.7 million formed part of the P150-million calamity fund of the City last year.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 02, 2012.