PWDs ask Rama to hike cash aid

-A A +A

Friday, July 6, 2012


AFTER the announcement of Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama that he will increase the cash aid for the senior citizens, the persons with disabilities (PWD) in the city are also asking for an increase in financial assistance.

The PWDs used to get P2,000 financial assistance from the City Government but the mayor added P1,000 for this year.

Some 12,000 PWDs in the city will get the P3,000 cash aid by the end of the month, in time for the National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation Week.

Advertisement

However, the PWDs will ask for more, after the mayor announced during his State of the City Address (Soca) last Monday to increase the financial assistance for the elderly.

When sought for comment, Rama said he doesn’t want to promise an increase, but he
added they will also look into the request of the PWDs.

Assistance

The senior citizens will receive P4,000 in December for a total of P7,000 this year, with the possibility of getting P1,000 every month by 2014, if Rama will be reelected next year.

The assistance only started with just P4,000 during the term of then mayor and now Rep. Tomas Osmeña (Cebu City, south district). The amount includes P2,000 as birthday gift and another P2,000 as Christmas gift. Last year, the mayor added P1,000.

Cebu City Federation of Persons with Disability president Danny Omayan said they need more help compared to senior citizens.

“As to who needs more financial help, I think the PWD is in a more critical situation than seniors, because some of them are well-off and have pensions, unlike us who have nothing since birth,” Omayan said.

The federation president urged the mayor that their cash aid will be leveled off with the financial assistance given to the elderly.

Thankful

Nevertheless, Omayan said they are still thankful to the City Government because in the entire region, it’s only in Cebu City where PWDs get such assistance.

The federation president said this is one of the reasons their group is increasing from 8,000 members last year.

Meanwhile, Mayor Rama said he will check if the P2,000 increase for the senior citizens this year can still be charged to the P100 million appropriation for the elderly.

If not, Rama said, he will include the budget for the increase in the supplemental budget (SB) 2, which will soon be submitted to the City Council.

“I have to discusss it with the group (which prepares the SB 2) because we’re going to have a supplemental budget,” Rama said.

Osmeña earlier criticized the mayor that the increase of the financial assistance for the senior citizens is just a bluff.

When sought for comment, the mayor said “I’m not a poker player. Bluff when you are a poker player.”

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 06, 2012.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for October 25, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • Pnoy
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Festivals
  • Pacman blog
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • ePaper
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • Sunstar Multimedia