Registration to resume Wednesday: Comelec-A A +A
Monday, July 30, 2012
PROVINCIAL Election Supervisor Lionel Marco Castillano announced yesterday that the registration of voters and validation of registration records in Cebu will resume on Wednesday after it was suspended last June.
The Commission on Elections’ (Comelec) continuing registration was suspended since June 25 after the election officers and election assistants in the province including Cebu City, were sent to Lanao del Sur.
They were asked to augment the Comelec personnel who conducted general registration of voters in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) last July 9 to 18.
Castillano said their data capturing machines, which were also brought to the ARMM, arrived last week and they are going to send these back to the cities and municipalities starting today after the reconfiguration.
He said the general registration of voters in ARMM was successful and they will now focus on the resumption of registration.
“By Wednesday, kadtong wa pa kaparehistro, adto lang sa inyong Comelec office sa lungsod o syudad kay mo-resume na atong continuing registration,” Castillano said.
Any Filipino citizen who is at least 18 years old on election day (May 13, 2013), a resident for at least one year in the place where he/she intends to vote or at least six months immediately preceding the day of the election may file an application for registration.
Apllicants should bring any valid identification (ID) when they register, such as an employee’s ID, postal ID, school ID, driver’s license, senior citizen’s ID, SSS/GSIS ID, NBI/PNP clearance, and birth certificate.
City Election Officer for the North District Marchel Sarno said he expects more registrants to come to their office on Wednesday because it will be the first day of the resumption of the continuing registration.
He said the activity will end on Oct. 31, but it will be suspended again on Oct. 1-5 to give way to the submission of the certificates of candidacy (COC) of those who will be running for elective posts next year.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 30, 2012.