Butete downs 7 people-A A +A
Monday, August 6, 2012
SEVEN people were taken to a hospital for food poisoning after eating a variety of puffer fish known as butete in Barangay Hilotongan, Bantayan town, Cebu last Saturday.
Three of them have been declared in stable condition, while the four others are still under observation, said Dr. Edgar Abelgas of the Bantayan District Hospital.
The victims were identified as Alejandro Minguito, 51; his son Casiban, 13; and grandchildren Rich Kay, 11, and John Vincent, 9. Dionesio Abrasada, 53, a neighbor, and his sons Joseph, 33, and Joel, 23, also got poisoned by the fish.
The police report, however, failed to mention who among the seven victims are already out of danger.
SPO1 Raul Hernaez of the Bantayan Police Station, in the report, said Alejandro bought the fish at 8 a.m. from a fisherman in their coastal village.
They had the fish for lunch. After two hours, the victims complained of stomach pain and dizziness and began vomiting. They were brought to the hospital.
Suzette Limbaga, information officer of the Department of Health 7, had warned the public against eating puffer fish.
She said no matter how the fish is prepared, it should not be consumed. (DSMAlem)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 06, 2012.