PRO 7 assures security on day of COC filing-A A +A
Thursday, September 27, 2012
IN relation to the filing of certificate of candidacy this Oct. 1 to 5, the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 assured the security of the public as they already anticipate the events that may be happening during those days.
Supt. Orlando Ualat of the PRO 7 said a total gun ban will also be implemented in the whole election period, from Jan. 13 to June 12, 2013.
Also, all groups that may be possibly used by the politicians in the coming elections will be closely monitored.
“We will monitor all activities ,especially those potential armed groups in different areas,” said Ualat in a media gathering yesterday.
He said they already discussed the dispatch of police officers in various areas in Central Visayas.
Ualat said areas that had troubles in the previous elections will be given attention, such as Bogo and other northern parts of the city.
He said the southern part of Cebu will also be closely monitored in case different groups might come out at the height of the election period.
Lawyer Temie Lambino, regional election officer of the Commission on Elections (Comelec), said that last week they conducted a conference with the different election supervisors in Central Visayas for the preparation of the filing of candidacy.
“We are very ready and we do not have problems with our security as the PNP will take care of our safety,” said Lambino.
Lambino clarified that the campaign period will start on Feb. 12 to May 11 for the national candidates and from March 29 to May 11 for the local candidates.
He said politicians cannot have police escorts without any permission and exemption from the Comelec.
Ualat said they have not yet raised their security to heightened or red alert, although they already discussed their preparation in the security conference last week.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on September 27, 2012.