UN Ave. to open Oct. 30: DPWH-A A +A
Thursday, October 4, 2012
DEPARTMENT of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Director Ador Canlas assured the public that UN Ave. in Mandaue City approaching the bridge will be fully open on Oct. 30, 2012.
Canlas, in his report at the Mactan-Cebu Bridge Management Board (MCBMB) meeting yesterday, said the P28.475-million rehabilitation on the 973.59-meter road that started last Aug. 8 was initially set for completion on Feb. 3, 2013.
The road is 14.4m. wide and 30mm. thick.
But due to major events like the thanksgiving mass for the canonization of Blessed Pedro Calungsod this Nov. 30, Canlas assured that the four lanes will be open to traffic on Oct 30, with the assurance of the contractor, PB Obial Construction.
He said the initial 180 calendar days will be shortened to 94 calendar days. Their committed date of completion will be on Nov. 15, 2012, in time for the Calungsod thanksgiving mass.
From Oct. 30 to Nov. 15, works will mostly be on the sidewalk, which will not hamper traffic.
The director stressed in his report that as of Sept. 30, 2012, they planned to accomplish 18.18 percent of the whole project, but they achieved 57 percent instead.
He said the scope of work includes removal of dilapidated asphalt, installing an aggregate sub-base course, concreting and installing reflectorized and white and yellow thermoplastic pavement markings.
Gov. Gwen Garcia, MCBMB chair, warned the contractor to do the pouring not on peak hours but during night time.
The first pouring of concrete on the inner lane heading towards Mandaue City was last Sept. 14
The second pouring was last Sept. 28, and the third will be on Oct. 8 and the last on Oct. 23.
In the last week of September, Garcia called a special meeting after the governor received numerous complaints about the heavy traffic, coming from motorists and commuters passing through portions of the UN Ave.
Traffic officials from both Lapu-Lapu and Mandaue City traffic offices last month complained when DPWH’s work schedule on two lanes overlapped, barring traffic from using these lanes.
MCBMB members earlier agreed that work on UN Ave. will be one lane at a time.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 04, 2012.