City police launches anti-gambling drive-A A +A
Thursday, October 25, 2012
A MARCH rally against illegal gambling will be initiated by the Cebu City Police Office in Fuente Osmeña circle today.
Destruction of the confiscated gambling paraphernalia and a campaign against all forms of gambling will also be done.
The rally dubbed as “Panaghiusa Kontra Illegal na Sugal ug Kriminalidad” will start at 10 a.m. today.
Cebu City Police Office Director Melvin Ramon Buenafe said that before the rally in Fuente Osmeña, a parade will be done from different routes in the city.
He said operatives in Cebu City, together with other concerned individuals, will join the activity.
Buenafe said the rally will intensify their campaign against illegal gambling.
“This is an oath of commitment among policemen that we will fight all forms of gambling in response to the directive of Gen. Garbo,” said Buenafe.
Different activities will also be done during the rally such as a slogan-making contest.
Buenafe said this form of activity will also be the same as their campaign against illegal drugs that was successful for the past two years.
“This will just be the same as the MAD rally we had,” said Buenafe.
During the Movement Against Drugs (MAD) launching last year, there were about 22,000 who participated in the rally.
The crowd was composed of high school and college students, police units, religious groups, government and non-government organizations, and the business sector.
The marchers carried posters and banners declaring their sentiments against the drugs problem, while the MAD jingle kept playing in the air.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 25, 2012.