Prices of 93-1 lots ‘too steep’-A A +A
Saturday, October 27, 2012
HOMEOWNERS’ asso-ciations in Barangays Apas, Kamputhaw and Luz reportedly oppose the ongoing negotiations between the Capitol and residents of lots covered by Provincial Ordinance 93-1.
Boy Guerra, president of the 93-1 Movement, said the groups find the lot prices too steep.
“Many of the occupants are urban poor families with limited income and unstable jobs. The capacity to pay of the homeowners must be given due consideration,” Councilor Alvin Dizon said in a text message to Sun.Star Cebu. Dizon is the chairperson of the committee on housing.
Dizon said affected residents should be given time to pay for the lots and under a reasonable monthly amortization.
Mayor Michael Rama provided a P100-million allocation for the acquisition of affected lots in the proposed 2013 annual budget.
If the budget is approved, the total appropriation for the acquisition will be P150 million.
“The additional P100-million allocation from the City for the Province-owned lots under the 93-1, including last year’s P50-million appropriation, will not solve the lot dispute. A land swap deal is the most workable solution,” read Guerra’s text message to Dizon.
In earlier reports, the price per square meter of affected properties in Barangay Busay is P3,300. In 2004, when the extension to pay for the lots expired, the price was P200 per square meter.
In Barangay Kamputhaw, the price also jumped from P600 per square meter to P15,000 per square for the same period, Guerra said. In Barangay Luz, the price jumped from P600 to between P15,000 and P18,000 per square meter.
The land swap deal fell through in 2006.
Under the proposed deal between then mayor now Rep. Tomas Osmeña (Cebu City, south district) and Gov. Gwen Garcia, the Capitol would get Block 27 at the North Reclamation Area in exchange for lots covered by 93-1 that are scattered in 11 barangays.
Since the deal did not push through, Capitol entered into negotiations with homeowners’ associations with the help of Vice President Jejomar Binay.
The City Council recently approved a resolution authorizing Rama to renew talks on the matter with the Capitol.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 28, 2012.