Bus driver out of jail after posting bail-A A +A
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
THE driver of the Jegans bus that figured in a road accident in Toledo City last Saturday posted bail shortly after charges of reckless imprudence were filed against him yesterday.
Meanwhile, some of the bus passengers who were brought to the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) will have to stay in the hospital longer to undergo further treatment.
As of yesterday, eight Jegans bus passengers were at the VSMMC admitting section while the other five are in the hospital’s trauma center.
Another passenger, 72-year-old Rudolfo Mapa, is in the intensive care unit. Others are in surgical wards and the hospital's holding area.
Haide Alimorin, one of VSMMC’s desk officers, said seven passengers went home without clearance from their doctors.
The road mishap involving the Jegans bus killed seven and injured 42 persons.
Bus driver Allan Pastidio, 40, posted bail of P30,000 and was ordered released by Judge Hermes Montero of the Regional Trial Court Branch 59, said SPO4 Carmelito Hormales of the Toledo City Police.
Pastidio denied allegations he was racing against another bus. He said the bus had a mechanical problem while navigating a downhill curve in Toledo City.
The incident resulted in the suspension of three Jegans buses by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) 7.
Rep. Pablo John Garcia (Cebu, third district) chided LTFRB 7 for suspending only three out of 11 Jegans buses.
Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale defended LTFRB 7’s decision and dismissed speculations that political biases prevented the suspension of all Jegans buses.
Jegans bus line is owned by former congressman Antonio Yapha, father of Pinamungajan Mayor Geraldine Yapha, who will be running against Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia in the third congressional district race in 2013 under the Liberal Party (LP) ticket. She added that she believes that LTFRB 7 acted promptly to the incident.
“I think they are just following to the existing policy,” said Magpale, LP’s gubernatorial bet in 2013.
LTFRB 7 Director Ahmed Cuizon earlier said that under a policy passed last year, only buses with the same franchise can be suspended instead of the entire fleet.
The vice governor warned drivers of public utility vehicles to be more careful and responsible.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 31, 2012.