Former RTAF faces murder charges-A A +A
Thursday, November 1, 2012
ONE of the three Filipino suspects in the kidnapping of a Korean national last week is also wanted for murder.
Richard Deagalon (not Dealagdon as previously reported) has a pending arrest warrant for murder issued by Regional Trial Cour (RTC) Branch 7 Judge Simeon Dumdum Jr. on Oct. 7, 2010.
Chief Insp. Sarah Jean Recla, head of Cebu City Police Office's Homicide Section, told reporters that Deagalon allegedly shot dead Jose Verano Sr., a house painter, inside a subdivision in Banawa, Barangay Guadalupe on July 25, 2009.
In the joint affidavit, Merlo Nacua and Romeo Sampanga, friends of Verano, said they were having a conversation at the roadside when Verano excused himself to buy a lotto ticket.
Shortly after, Nacua and Sampanga heard two gunshots and saw Deagalon running away, a gun in his hand. Then they heard a neighbor shouting that Verano was shot.
“The motive was personal grudge. The victim reportedly took the side of his cousin, who fought with Deagalon,” Recla said.
She said Deagalon is a member of the defunct Robbery and Thievery Task Force (RTAF), which was an auxiliary group connected to the Theft and Robbery Section.
Last Wednesday, Deagalon was arrested outside a bank in an uptown mall after allegedly abducting Song Seungheum and the latter's live-in partner Charisse Santiago.
A complaint of kidnapping with ransom was filed against Deagalon, his cousin Gregorio and cohort Leonard Bolabaon.
Jun Hyunghcung, who allegedly orchestrated the kidnapping and hired the Filipino abductors, was also arrested and is now facing a criminal complaint.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on November 01, 2012.