A MAN was caught in the act of stealing wires from a traffic light at the corner of S. Osmeña Blvd. and Gen. Maxilom Ext., Cebu City last Monday afternoon.
A traffic enforcer of the City Operations Traffic Management (Citom) chanced upon Helbert Reynes, 31, allegedly removing about P45,000 worth of wires from the control box of the traffic light.
THREE unidentified men robbed an LBC branch in Punta Princesa, Cebu City around noon yesterday.
The suspects took P5,000 in cash from personnel of the LBC-Punta Princesa branch, whose closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera was not working. The branch also did not have a security guard.
MOTORISTS will not be able to pass through the tunnel on the Cebu South Coastal Road from 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. today.
The tunnel will be closed to allow the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the City’s Department of Public Services (DPS) to clear the roads in the tunnel of mud that accumulated there after the flood last week.
SOME parts of the Naga-Carcar road will no longer be widened to avoid cutting century-old acacia trees, says Rep. Gerald Anthony Gullas (Cebu, 1st district).
Gullas said that Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Singson agreed to his proposal to realign a portion of the budget to the ongoing road-widening project on the Talisay-Toledo Wharf Access Road in Talisay City.
LOCAL auditors will ask the municipal treasurers of Pinamungajan, Compostela, Carmen and Sogod to explain why they should not be made liable for the burglaries that took place in their offices.
THE law firm that represents the five former Highway Patrol Group (HPG) 7 operatives charged with killing a lawyer has withdrawn from the case.
But Inocencio de la Cerna Jr., of Dela Cerna and Associates Law Offices, clarified that he and the policemen “mutually agreed” to end his services as their counsel.
A LANDSLIDE hit Barangay Manipis, Talisay City yesterday dawn, the third to hit the area since the onset of rains.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 wants contractors of an ongoing road widening project in the barangay to put up precautionary measures to avoid another landslide.
THE Cebu City Police Office (CPPO) will investigate the allegation that there are police officials who protect a suspected drug pusher who was caught in a buy-bust by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7 in Barangay Ermita last Monday afternoon.
Senior Supt. Noli Romana, CCPO director, said he will look into the accusation of Ermita Barangay Captain Felicisimo Rupinta that some police officials are behind the alleged illegal drug operation of Rodelito Gabijie.
ANTI-NARCOTICS operatives arrested a suspected drug dealer during a raid in Barangay Bolinawan, Carcar City early yesterday morning.
Seized from Rommel Velez were packs of suspected shabu worth P354,000 and drug-sniffing paraphernalia.
THE Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) yesterday said all real properties of deceased persons whose inheritance taxes have not yet been paid by their heirs can be foreclosed and sold through public auction and their cash in banks and jewelry can be garnished in favor of the government.
THE Mandaue City Government will pass a resolution supporting the call of a driver’s group to lower the penalties imposed by Joint Administrative Order (JAO) 2014-01.
The Pagkakaisa ng Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Opereytor Nationwide (Piston) Mandaue City had sent a letter to Councilor Elstone Dabon, chair of committee on transportation, communication and public utilities, last July asking the City for help on this matter.
THE Cebu City Government executive department will reduce its proposed second supplemental budget (SB 2) this year by at least P200 million following questions on its source of funds.
City Budget Officer Marietta Gumia said they will only be requesting for at least P400 million of the P664.2 million additional budget they had initially proposed.
MULTI-SECTORAL groups launched yesterday the Ugnayan ng Barangay at Simbahan (Ubas), which aims to harmonize efforts for good governance.
Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma, Liga ng mga Barangay National President Edmund Abesamis and Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Undersecretary Austere Panadero signed a memorandum of agreement, a commitment to monitor implementation or projects under the grassroots participatory process.
A JUDGE ordered a cooperative to vacate a Province-owned lot in Sitio Langub, Barangay Kalunasan, Cebu City.
Municipal Trial Court in Cities Branch 6 Judge Pameral Baring-Uy granted the civil suit filed by the Cebu Provincial Government, which seeks to recover Lot 1411 in Barangay Kalunasan, the same location where the Langub Kalunasan Cooperative building is located.
FOUR service offices of the Land Transportation Office (LTO) 7 failed to comply with the Republc Act 9485 or the Anti-Red Tape Act (ARTA) of 2007.
According to the Civil Service Commission (CSC) 7, the offices that failed the ARTA Report Card Survey (RCS) are LTO 7's Operations Division, Licensing Division and the extension offices in Lapu-Lapu City and Dumaguete City.
A CAMARINES Sur representative hopes the proposed Freedom of Information (FOI) bill will hurdle the technical working group (TWG) level and reach the committee on public information in Congress.
TALISAY City Mayor Johnny De los Reyes plans to hire displaced job-order workers in City Hall to work as “promodizers” for his company.
Following the advice of the Commission on Audit (COA) to decrease the City’s number of job-order employees (JOs), De los Reyes said that City Hall will reduce the number of JOs from 1,600 to 1,200, leaving 300 to 400 workers jobless.
PEOPLE who celebrated, when the House earlier approved the impeachment complaints against President Aquino as sufficient in form, celebrated prematurely.
Yesterday, the same committee voted all three complaints as insufficient in substance, 54-4. The plenary vote isn’t expected to muster a third or 97 for impeachment in the predominantly pro-PNoy House.
SEVEN years after it was declared as a city, Naga reported a P414-million increase in revenues.
In his State of the City Address yesterday, City of Naga Mayor Valdemar Chiong said that from P112 million seven years ago, its revenues reached P526 million last year, or a P414-million increase.
CEBU CITY (Updated) - Classes in all elementary and secondary schools in Cebu City were suspended past noon Monday because of the bad weather brought by a low-pressure area (LPA).
Mayor Michael Rama announced the cancellation of classes as recommended by Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pag-asa) Mactan Chief Oscar Tabada.
CITING budgetary constraints, the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) National Headquarters has decided to pull out all its personnel at the Operation Second Chance (OSC) in Cebu City, a facility for juvenile delinquents.
BJMP wrote Cebu City Hall that its decision will take effect 60 days after the local government received the letter.
CATCHING, transporting, disposing of and selling sharks are now prohibited in Cebu Province.
The Cebu Provincial Board (PB) approved yesterday an amendment to Ordinance 2012-05, also known as the Provincial Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Ordinance of Cebu, declaring all shark species as protected.
AN INTERNATIONAL team will assess the interventions of foreign non-government organizations in local government units in northern Cebu, which were hit by typhoon Yolanda.
TWO gasoline stations in Barangay Luray II, Toledo City in western Cebu were robbed by four people late Sunday night.
Before the suspects could cart away their combined haul of P13,000 cash, the second heist turned into a bloody shootout between them and the gasoline station owner, killing one suspect and wounding three others.
THE Provincial Board (PB) approved a resolution, urging all local government units (LGUs) to install closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras inside city halls and municipal halls to improve security.
Pinamungajan was the latest town to be victimized by burglars, losing P430,000 from its treasurer’s office last Sunday.
POLICE are investigating the “mysterious” death of an eight-year-old boy in Barangay Magsaysay, Balamban, Cebu.
Christian Tapia died last Sunday dawn reportedly from poisoning even after he was brought to the emergency room of a hospital in Cebu City.
THE Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. (Rafi), local government units and other sectors launched the 2nd Mega Cebu Month with the theme “Engaging Change” at the Capitol Social Hall yesterday.
EIGHT out of 80 barangays in Cebu City are still not connected to Cebu City’s Command Control Center, said Councilor Dave Tumulak, presiding officer of the Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Council.
According to Tumulak, eight of these barangays lack handheld radios intended for disaster emergencies.
THE Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) hearing panel concluded the pre-trial of the case against 2Go Group, which owned the ferry St. Thomas Aquinas, and Philippine Span Asia Carrier Corp. (PSACC), which operates Sulpicio Express Siete, to determine their criminal and administrative liabilities.
Marina Administrator Maximo Mejia Jr. told Sun.Star Cebu that the trial of the case will follow to determine whether the two shipping companies are guilty or not.
THE Cebu City Government is determined to acquire the estimated 3,000-sq.-m. property in Barangay Sapangdaku.
The lot will be used by the City for the village’s new elementary school.