Body of man, 61, fished out off Bantayan-A A +A
Friday, December 7, 2012
A FISHERMAN drowned in the waters off Barangay Lipayran, Bantayan Island, Cebu due to the onslaught of typhoon Pablo, making him the eighth casualty in Central Visayas.
Barangay tanods found the body of Rafael Fulgencio, a 61-year-old native of Biliran Province, in a seaweed plantation in Sitio Balwarte last Wednesday at 7 a.m.
His nephew Alex Fulgencio, 44, who survived the incident, told police their motorized banca was swept away by big waves in Lower Masagawsaw, Kawayan town, Biliran after they went fishing last Tuesday at 1 p.m. Their engine conked out and their banca drifted.
Alex said when they reached Barangay Lipayran around 4 a.m. the next day, Rafael jumped off the banca and tried to swim ashore.
Alex said his uncle suddenly disappeared under the water.
Tanods Nelson Ponteras, Manuel Cabague and Hilario Batiancila found Rafael’s body floating in a seaweed plantation.
Dr. Liza Rivera, the town’s health officer, said Rafael died from asphyxia by drowning. She said he had been dead for three hours when his body was fished out of the water.
Bantayan Mayor Ian Christopher Escario told Sun.Star Cebu the town will facilitate everything, including Rafael’s embalming. He said the town will send Rafael’s body back to his hometown.
The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) 7 recorded casualties in Cebu, Negros Oriental and Siquijor, where most of them died after being hit by fallen trees.
As of 12 p.m. yesterday, OCD 7 recorded 10,822 individuals who were affected by the typhoon, which was considered the strongest to hit Southern Mindanao.
Florenda Galviola, administration officer of OCD 7, said power was restored in Bohol, Siquijor, Negros Oriental and southern Cebu.
Sea vessels and domestic flights resumed operations.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on December 07, 2012.