SWU grad tops medical board

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:24 a.m.

ON HER Facebook profile picture, Dr. Venil Lovely Bolambao added the words “2015, you are my year.”

After topping the Physician Licensure Examinations in February this year, it seems Bolambao has every right to make that claim.

Fire in Pardo, Cebu ruins 50 houses

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:21 a.m.

CEBU CITY -- A fire tore through a crowded neighborhood in Barangay Poblacion Pardo, Cebu City Wednesday afternoon, destroying 50 houses and damaging 10 others.

BRT not enough to accommodate passengers: study

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:56 p.m.

THE Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Metro Cebu may not be able to accommodate the current number of passengers in 10 street sections, a study presented by Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) showed.

Jica, on the other hand, also introduced urban rail as a main public transport option.

P500,000 bounty raised

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:54 p.m.

THE family of slain lawyer Noel Archival has raised P500,000 as reward for the information that will lead to the arrest of three former Highway Patrol Group (HPG) 7 members.

Magpale testifies against ‘cult leader’

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:52 p.m.

VICE Gov. Agnes Magpale took the witness stand yesterday against the bail application of alleged cult leader Casiano Apduhan, whom followers call “Dios Amahan.”

‘I am not for his ouster’

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:51 p.m.

FOR Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama, the call for President Benigno Aquino III to resign following the Jan. 25 Mamasapano incident will not solve a perceived leadership crisis in the country.

CIDG-Central Visayas to help find person who uploaded clash video

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:50 p.m.

THE Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) 7 will help track down the person who uploaded the videos of the carnage of Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao.

Supt. Fermin Armendarez III of CIDG 7 said they are now verifying reports that a former tabloid journalist uploaded the video to his Facebook page.

DBM findings ‘may hamper’ CH services

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:49 p.m.

WHAT will happen to the charges made by the Cebu City Government to its P405.55-million second supplemental budget (SB 2) last year, when the bulk of it has been declared by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) 7 as inoperative?

Of the total amount, DBM 7 said P286.88 million is inoperative since retained operating surplus and reversion of accounts payable in the previous years was not considered as sources of funds.

‘No to Meco franchise extension’

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:46 p.m.

LAPU-LAPU City Mayor Paz Radaza is opposing a bill filed by a lawmaker that seeks to renew the franchise of a utility firm operating in the city.

Radaza said Rep. Raul del Mar (Cebu City, north district) should have consulted the City Government before sponsoring a bill granting the Mactan Electric Company (Meco) another 25-year franchise,

‘Hospital still under probe’

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:44 p.m.

THE Mandaue City Hospital is not cleared yet of any liability following the recent death of a woman in their facility, the Department of Health (DOH) 7 said.

Dr. Jaime Bernadas, DOH 7 director, said that while they have concluded their investigation on the hospital, they haven’t cleared them yet.

Fiscal clears researchers on endangered birds’ death

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:43 p.m.

THE Office of the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office dismissed the charges filed against three students and five professors of a Cebu university for killing eight Black Shama birds or “Siloy.”

In her decision issued last Nov. 5, 2014, Cebu City Prosecutor Mary Ann Castro ordered the dismissal of the case filed by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) after she found that there was nothing illegal in the killing of the endangered birds because that was done for research purposes.

Case vs. ‘pretty thief’ dismissed for now

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:38 p.m.

THE estafa case against the 16-year-old girl tagged as the “pretty thief” was provisionally dismissed yesterday, but the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) will not release the minor.

Defense lawyer Rene Abcede was confident that Josephine (real name withheld for being a minor) would be released yesterday, but PSWDO acting officer-in-charge Rosalinda Jao said the order of Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 59 Judge Hermes Montero was limited to the dismissal of the case.

Buzz: Vidal well-wishers and anti-PNoy advocates

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:36 p.m.

DID you notice...

... Cardinal Vidal's birthday party at his Sto. Niño Village, Cebu City retirement residence was held a week after his actual birthday?

City lawyer raises reservations on Councilor Gabuya’s proposal

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:35 p.m.

DUE to technicalities, the Cebu City Legal Office has reservations on the move that seeks to create a trust fund for all the donations and appropriations made by the City Government for the construction of the new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC).

The creation of a trust fund is covered by a proposed ordinance by Councilor Eugenio Gabuya Jr.

Capitol holds verification of homeowners’ groups

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:34 p.m.

GOV. Hilario Davide III yesterday said that the distribution of lands to the occupants of 93-1 lots was delayed as the technical working group needs to determine the legitimate associations residing in the Capitol-owned properties.

Davide yesterday met with more than 50 residents from Barangay Luz, Cebu City who are occupying the 93-1 properties.

Burglar cuts CCTV connection to rob meat shop

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:29 a.m.

A MEAT shop on Cabancalan St., Barangay Talamban, Cebu City lost almost P200,000 cash to an unidentified burglar last Sunday. Police are looking at an inside job because there was no sign of forced entry in Virginia Farm Inc.'s the Pork Shop.

Conchita Lapuz, 40, manager of Virginia Farm Inc., reported the incident to the Talamban Police Station last Monday morning. PO2 Roger Castillo, team leader of the responding police personnel, said that the burglar easily opened the glass door of the establishment.

‘No impact’ from P800 fine, ruling

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:57 p.m.

THE Maritime Industry Authority’s (Marina) decision to revoke the Philippine Span Asia Carrier’s authority to transport passengers will have “no impact” on the shipping firm’s operations, a company official said, saying it stopped operating passenger vessels last year yet.

Family of singer who died in mishap ‘happy’

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:54 p.m.

FELIZA Ouano brought her tablet computer when she attended a court hearing yesterday on the damage suit filed by her and 64 other families of those who died when the Princess of the Stars sank during typhoon Frank in 2008.

City of Naga mayor ‘caught in crossfire’

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:50 p.m.

MAYOR Valdemar Chiong of the City of Naga, Cebu is facing a civil suit over the issuance of business permits to a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) plant in Barangay Langtad. 

Pryce Gases Inc., represented by Darwin Sarraga, the firm’s assistant vice president for corporate administrative services, filed the petition for prohibition and mandamus against Chiong and Petronas Energy Philippines.

No reason for Aquino to resign

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:48 p.m.

THERE will be a constitutional crisis if the National Transformation Council (NTC) insists on calling for President Benigno Aquino III’s resignation, said Gov. Hilario Davide III.

Davide said he believes the people behind the move are pursuing their own political agenda.

Free tests, services for heart diseases

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:46 p.m.

TO PREVENT deaths caused by heart diseases, the Department of Health (DOH) 7 urged those who are at risk of ailments to avail themselves of free medical tests and treatment in health centers.

Screening for blood sugar and cholesterol level, urine test, blood pressure and weight-taking, as well as management and treatment of hypertension and diabetes, are just among the free services in the barangay and rural health centers.

Political rivalry in Talisay City at an ‘impasse’

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:31 p.m.

IT SEEMS hostilities between Talisay City’s executive and legislative departments are far from over.

Mayor Johnny de los Reyes deferred the first-quarter release of the City Council’s legislative assistance fund (LAF) worth P4.8 million.

Archival ambush survivor and his third lease on life

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:19 p.m.

BEFORE he played dead exactly a year ago today, drenched in blood inside the vehicle of slain lawyer Noel Archival, Paulo Cortes had escaped death twice already.

In 1979, at age 19, he got into a brawl. When his enemy tried to stab him, he parried the attack with his left elbow.

DOH finds contamination source

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:16 p.m.

AN upland well owned by Danao City’s local water district was found to be positive of fecal coliform, officials of the Department of Health (DOH) Central Visayas said.

DOH 7’s Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU) recommended to the city government to not only improve its deep well in Barangay Sabang, but also to remove a septic tank located about nine meters away from it.

Other than fasting, try doing good works, Catholics urged

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:15 p.m.

AN official of the Archdiocese of Cebu urged the faithful to not only abstain or fast but also do good works for the poor during Ash Wednesday today.

Msgr. Joseph Tan, media liaison officer of the Cebu Archdiocese, reminded the faithful that Ash Wednesday should not just be focused on simple practices, such as fasting and abstinence from eating meat, but also on more spiritual changes.

Davide to arrange meeting between Corro, councilors

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:15 p.m.

GOV. Hilario Davide III will arrange this week a meeting between Daanbantayan councilors and their mayor and vice mayor to resolve the issue over a World Bank grant worth millions.

“Mas maayo nga mag-abot sila. Akong imbitaron sila kay mao sad pud ang letter ni Mayor (Augusto) Corro, (It’s better that they talk. I will invite them, as requested by the mayor in his letter)” said Davide.

Police to examine gadgets to look for porn materials

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:13 p.m.

THE Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) 7 will conduct a digital forensic examination on some devices seized from an Internet shop owner in Barangay Tejero, Cebu City on suspicions that the suspect is running a cyberporn business.

Supt. Fermin Armendarez III of CIDG 7 said they confiscated the devices, such as laptop and computer unit, using a search warrant against Nathalie Mendiola.

Capitol to hire 13 consultants

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:12 p.m.

GOV. Hilario Davide III has been authorized by the Provincial Board (PB) to hire the 13 consultants of Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale, with a monthly salary of P28,336 each.

Man faces 4 counts of rape for ‘abusing’ 12-year-old girl

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:11 p.m.

A MAN was charged with four counts of rape for allegedly sexually abusing the 12-year-old relative of his live-in partner several times.

The case was filed in court after Assistant Cebu City Prosecutor Mary Ann Castro found enough evidence to indict Stanley Alegoro Denopol with the accusations.

Citom drive vs. colorum vehicles in SRP nets 16

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:11 p.m.

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for February 27, 2015

Other front pages

  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Obituary
  • ePaper
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Papal Visit
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Habemus Papam
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sinulog
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Festivals
  • goodearth