DOH 7 reports 76 firecracker injuries-A A +A
Thursday, January 3, 2013
THE year 2013 was welcomed with nearly 76 firecracker victims in Central Visayas, as recorded by the Department of Health (DOH) 7.
There were no casualties of the firecracker incidents.
Among the victims this year, 58 suffered from a blast of firecrackers, 11 of which were amputated.
There were five who sustained eye injuries and two suffered from stray bullets.
Last year, there were 63 victims. Four were amputated while 47 had blast injuries.
Four others had eye injuries and eight suffered from stray bullets.
The Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) recorded six firecracker victims and one was injured by a stray bullet.
Four other incidents were recorded in the towns of Pinamungahan, Minglanilla, San Fernando, and Sibonga.
At 2:17 p.m. Monday, Dolores Gibo, 19, sustained a gunshot wound in Villa Leyson Subdivision, Barangay Bacayan, Cebu.
A stray bullet from .45 pistol pierced the roof of the house where Gibo was staying.
The bullet reportedly passed through its second floor then fell to the first floor and accidentally grazed the head of Gibo.
The Homicide Section of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) will still have to investigate the suspect and where the indiscriminate firing came from.
Supt. Clifford Gairanod of the PRO 7 said that based on their monitoring, the celebration of New Year’s Eve was generally peaceful.
“Wala may mga dinagkong panghitabo sa atong pag-monitor so we can say it was generally peaceful (There was no major incident),” said Gairanod.
Highest on record
Meanwhile, Dr. Lakshmi Legaspi of the Department of Health (DOH) 7 said they will continue to monitor firecracker injuries until Jan. 5.
According to DOH records, Cebu remains with the highest number of recorded injuries since last year. There were 63 recorded injuries in Cebu followed by Bohol with eight injuries, Negros, 3, and Siquijor, 2.
The PRO 7 and the DOH 7 will still have to consolidate on their updated list of firecracker victims until Jan. 5.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 03, 2013.