Palma: Give thanks, reflect-A A +A
Thursday, January 3, 2013
WITH the start of a new year, Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma urged Cebuanos to prepare themselves spiritually for what’s in store for 2013, including the local and national elections in May.
In his homily during the New Year’s Eve mass at the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, Palma said that while unfortunate events happened in 2012, there were many things that Cebuanos should be thankful for, such as the canonization of San Pedro Calungsod last October.
Cebuanos should also be grateful that Cebu was spared from typhoon Pablo, which wiped out several towns in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley last month.
As for the negative things and unfortunate events that happened last year, Palma said these should serve as a lesson for everyone.
“If there were times in the past year that had driven us down, let us charge it to experience,” Palma told churchgoers last Monday night.
As everyone bade 2012 goodbye, Palma called on the faithful to be hopeful this 2013.
“Our hope is part of our belief in a good Lord, in a good God,” he said.
He said that as a new year starts, Cebuanos should continue to live the message of the holidays, especially with the local and senatorial elections taking place in five months.
“Unta sa atong pagboto, ang atong Ginoo kabahin sa atong repleksyon. Dili nato ibilin ang Ginoo sa atong balay (Hopefully, when we vote, God will be part of our reflection.
We shouldn’t leave Him at home), let’s bring him to the polling precincts,” he said.
Palma also reminded revelers to be careful in using firecrackers.
“Usahay naa na sa atong kultura nga mugamit ug pabuto para matangtang ang panulay.
Pero kung dili ta careful, panulay lang gihapon na (Lighting up firecrackers is one of our practices in welcoming the New Year, to drive away evil spirits. But if we’re not careful, it still becomes evil). Our point is to be extra careful,” he said.
After the New Year’s Eve mass, Palma and churchgoers watched the fireworks display outside the cathedral.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 03, 2013.