Gwen’s brother raring to fight Garbo-A A +A
Monday, January 7, 2013
CEBU CITY -- Governor Gwendolyn Garcia's brother and former consultant, Byron Garcia, challenged Police Regional Director Marcelo Garbo Jr. on Sunday to a fistfight, after reports the governor would be forced to leave her office.
On the 19th day since a suspension order was left on the governor’s office door, Byron came to show his support. It was their first public appearance together in nearly three years, after a reported falling-out when Byron’s contract as a Capitol consultant was not renewed.
Byron also warned Cebu City’s residents, particularly those in Barangays Guadalupe and Lahug, about what he said was an impending jailbreak because the inmates were “alarmed.”
The governor’s family has expressed worries she might be forcibly removed from office every time operatives from the Special Weapons and Tactics (Swat) go to the Capitol, like they did last Saturday.
Both Chief Superintendent Garbo and Acting Governor Agnes Magpale downplayed Byron’s pronouncements.
“Hindi naman ako boxer (I’m not a boxer),” said Garbo, who suggested that the governor’s brother challenge Representative Manny Pacquiao instead.
He added he didn’t want to pay much attention to the former Capitol consultant’s statements.
“Para kasi siyang bata, eh (He acts childish),” Garbo said.
Magpale, who visited the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) on Sunday, said the situation was normal, even festive.
“It’s very irresponsible for him to say that (a jailbreak was impending),” Magpale said in an interview with radio dyAB. “Despite that, we’re always ready.”
The barangay where both the CPDRC and Cebu City Jail are located falls within Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama’s jurisdiction.
In a phone interview with Sun.Star Cebu, he said he asked Cebu City Police Office officer-in-charge Mariano Natuel to check on the commotion in the city jail and the reported threat of a jailbreak.
“I do not think the prisoners would have a jailbreak as what Byron Garcia said, because their life would be on the line if they did that,” said Natuel.
“So far, it is peaceful. Nothing to worry about,” assured Natuel.
Byron was the Capitol’s consultant on security and jail management, and was the one who developed the CPDRC dancing inmates and uploaded their performances on YouTube.
“Nakalimot man tingali nga (Maybe they’ve forgotten) I am the father of the inmates dinhi sa (here in) Cebu. Ang ilang simpatiya dia nako. Ang ilang simpatiya naa sa governor (The inmates sympathize with me and the governor),” Byron said.
He criticized Garbo (calling him “garboso” or arrogant) for reportedly refusing to salute his sister.
“Gusto sya’g makaduha ka star? Gusto sya’g second star pa? Adto sya’g Mindanao. Pa-kumbata sya didto. Ipada iyang mga Swat didto, dili diri intawn kining naa diri babaye. Unsa, bayot siya nga makigsukol sya’g babaye? (He wants to have a second star? He should go to Mindanao. He can go to combat there together with his Swat team and not here in the Capitol, against a woman. Is he gay?),” the governor’s brother said.
He also challenged Garbo to a fistfight at the Cebu City Sports Center.
He also advised the governor to have someone list the names of the police personnel assigned in the Capitol compound, so that those who refuse to salute will be named in an administrative complaint.
Earlier, Deputy Speaker Pablo Garcia sent a letter asking Garbo about reports that Governor Garcia, his daughter, would be forcibly removed.
Byron’s contract as Capitol consultant ended and was not renewed in early 2010, shortly before the elections. He said Sunday they did not have a misunderstanding and accused the media of misinterpreting the situation.
It was not clear what his basis was for saying there would be a jailbreak in Kalunasan.
“Manghuhula na ba siya ngayon (Is he now a fortune-teller?),” Garbo said, in a separate interview.
The top police official in Central Visayas said they are instead focusing on their security preparations to ensure a clean and peaceful election in May 2013. (FMG/DSM/With JBT of Sun.Star Cebu)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 07, 2013.