Election keeps away several Sinulog regulars-A A +A
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
CEBU CITY - Fewer out-of-town contingents will be joining the Sinulog grand parade on January 20 this year.
Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) executive director Ricky Ballesteros said that from 12 out-of-town contingents last year, only eight participants from outside Cebu have signified their interest to join this year’s competition.
They are the Sinanduloy Cultural Dance Troupe of Tangub City, Placer in Masbate who will be sending two contingents, Zamboanga Sibugay, Alang-alang in Leyte, Tanawan in Leyte, Lanao Del Norte, and Kidapawan City in Cotabato.
Regular participants who will be missed in this year’s competition are the Tribu Buyogan of Abuyog, Leyte, Sta. Catalina in Negros Oriental and Dumaguete City, among others.
Also on Monday, the Cebu City Hall said it will not be issuing special permits to business establishments, even if Sinulog festivities are fast approaching, in line with City Ordinance 1413. This bans the sale of liquor within 100 meters from schools, hospitals, parks and sports complexes.
Ballesteros said that Sta. Catalina and Dumaguete City will not be joining this year after they were hit by Super Typhoon Pablo last month.
On the other hand, Abuyog will not be joining this year because they failed to get the choreographer they wanted, he said.
Ballesteros said that Abuyog wanted to get Victor Cuenco as their choreographer but he was already contracted by the contingent from Lanao del Norte.
“Moapil man unta to sila this year since wa man sila kaapil last year but wa man nila nakuha si Cuenco, mao wa na lang sila mopadayon (They would have wanted to join this year, after missing last year’s competition, but they couldn’t get Cuenco),” he said.
Cuenco was the choreographer of Abuyog for the past years, including the Sinulog in 2009 when they garnered the grand prize in the free interpretation category.
Other out-of-town contingents, Ballesteros said, will not be able to join because it is an election year.
For the Sinulog sa Kabataan, which will be held this weekend, Ballesteros said all is set and that they have already closed the registration.
In the Sinulog sa Kabataan sa Dakbayan, a total of 13 contingents will be joining, six from the elementary and seven in the secondary division.
In the Sinulog sa Kabataan sa Lalawigan, a total of 16 contingents will be joining, seven in the elementary and nine in the secondary division.
Those who will win the Sinulog sa Kabataan will earn a slot in the Sinulog grand parade on January 20.
Meanwhile, Mayor Michael Rama announced Monday that he will be inviting the leaders of the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) to attend the Sinulog grand parade, including Vice President Jejomar Binay, Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and former President Joseph Estrada.
He also said he will be inviting President Benigno Aquino III to the activity.
Rama said no politicians will be allowed to speak during the event except President Aquino and Vice President Binay. Rama will also be speaking in the event.
In a separate meeting on Monday, the Liquor Licensing Commission decided to not issue special permits to business establishments. The ordinance is effective for a whole year.
The Liquor Licensing Commission co-chairperson, Dr. Lucille Mercado, said they already started checking and giving penalties to business establishments within 100 meters from schools.
“Amo na sila giadto. In fact, some were penalized kay they were proven nga adunay batan-on nga mag-inom (because minors were seen drinking on their premises),” she said.
These businesses located within 100 meters are not given liquor license permits. If a store is caught selling liquor to minors, the minors are fined P5,000 each and the establishment’s closure is recommended.
Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama said he wants to stop issuing special permits, for good.
“We are talking about the future of the youth. We do not wish to have youngsters who are drunkards become our elders. The way to discipline these people is keep them from getting too exposed to liquor in their formative years,” Rama said.
He recalled that when he was younger, his generation would never drink liquor in public. “Karon, ang batan-on maghinambog pa sa pag-inom (Now, kids brag about drinking alcohol),” he said.
Dr. Mercado is also urging the public to report any establishments that sell liquor to minors. (PDF/With Rachel Anne M. Umpad, USJR Mass Com Intern/Sun.Star Cebu)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 08, 2013.