Magpale seeks reorganization-A A +A
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
CEBU CITY - Acting Cebu Governor Agnes Magpale announced Monday a reorganization of some department heads, after leading the Provincial Government’s first flag-raising ceremony for the year.
The reorganization, she said, will affect the treasurer’s office, social welfare and general services, among others.
Meanwhile, the Provincial Board (PB) hopes to approve within the month the Capitol’s budget for 2013, one legislator said.
“We are operating on a reenacted budget until the annual budget is passed and approved,” said PB Member Peter John Calderon, chairman of the committee on budget and appropriations.
These developments show operations at the Capitol continue, despite the six-month suspension of Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia that began last December 19. The Garcia camp is organizing a prayer rally tomorrow (Wednesday), a day ahead of the hearing at the Court of Appeals where her lawyers will argue against her suspension.
The flag-raising ceremony that Magpale led at 7:30 a.m. Monday was visible from the balcony of Garcia’s office, where the chief executive has stayed since last December 19.
Five Provincial Board (PB) members attended, namely, Calderon, Arleigh Sitoy, Thadeo Ouano, Miguel Magpale and Jude Sybico.
All the department heads were also present.
Provincial Administrator Eduardo Habin’s memo about the flag raising ceremony also pointed out that the Capitol building’s front and rear doors are now open to the public.
Governor Garcia has previously questioned the police for treating the Capitol premises like a garrison. She wrote PNP Chief Alan Purisima on Monday to investigate the allegedly illegal acts committed by the police on orders of Central Visayas Police Director Marcelo Garbo Jr.
Despite the situation, the PB continues to work on the budget for 2013 and has been holding budget hearings on the proposed budget of P3.67 billion. (The proposal is lower than the approved budget for 2012 of P3.659 billion.)
With a decrease in revenues, Calderon said in an ABS-CBN Cebu interview, the annual budget for this year may be a trimmed version of the executive department’s proposal.
Most likely, Calderon said, a 10 percent reduction across the board can be expected in maintenance and other operating expenses (MOOE) of all departments, except the Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO). Travel expenses may also be cut.
He assured, though, that the Capitol’s basic services will not be affected.
Section 323 of the Local Government Code of 1991 states that once the local legislature fails to enact the annual appropriations at the beginning of the fiscal year, it shall continue to hold sessions until such an ordinance is approved.
“If the sanggunian still fails to enact such ordinance after 90 days from the beginning of the fiscal year, the ordinance authorizing the appropriations of the preceding year shall be deemed reenacted, and shall remain in force and effect until the ordinance authorizing the proposed appropriations is passed by the sanggunian concerned,” the provision also states.
Magpale, for her part, said she is just awaiting clearance from the Department of Finance (DOF) for the transfer of Provincial Treasurer Roy Salubre to the assessor’s office.
She recommended Emmanuel Guial to take his place.
She said she is also informing the Department of Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman and its regional office in Cebu regarding the relief of social welfare office head Marivic Garces.
Acting Governor Magpale plans to return Eva Encabo to her mother unit, the General Services Office (GSO), as the chair of that department, replacing Bernard Calderon.
“I want to work with people who are more effective and whom I can trust,” said Magpale.
The department heads seen during the flag ceremony were Provincial Engineer Adolfo Quiroga; personnel head Noli Valencia; Guial from accounting; Calderon from the GSO; budget officer Emme Gingoyon and treasurer Roy Salubre.
Other department heads seen were Habin, agriculture office head Necias Vicoy; Dr. Christina Giango of IPHO; Garces from social welfare; lawyer Marino Martinquilla from legal; Mariflor Vero from the assessor’s office; and board secretary Anecita Pasaylo.
Magpale also announced that her visit to the Cebu Provincial Detention Rehabilitation Center last Sunday was peaceful, in contrast to its neighboring Cebu City Jail where the stabbing of two inmates disrupted a peaceful situation.
“I just greeted them and wished them well. I told them that I am very accessible through the proper channels,” said Magpale.
It was an open house at CPDRC last Sunday, with tables arranged on the quadrangle for inmates and their visiting families. (OCP/Sun.Star Cebu)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 08, 2013.